Why become a member? ×

string guage on different basses

Tjhooker

What's people's thoughts on this...

I've got a limelight p bass that has some regular light d'addario 45 - 100 nickle roundwound...

Tried lots of strings including flats but when I put these on the bass it came to life and I thought "I've found my strings!"

I like lighter strings 👍

So I put the equivalent set but 5 string on my Yamaha bb615.

Mehhh

Didn't sound or feel right.

So after experimenting with quite a few other sets I've just today put a set of regular 50 - 135 Ernie ball slinkys on and now this bass seems to have come to life... It sounds and feels great.

Experimenting with strings isn't cheap but if you stumble across something that works then the instrument can really shine I think..

Anybody had a similar experience on this or am I going mad?

(It's Xmas and there is a lot of booze about đŸ€”)

Only one of my basses is fussy about string gauge, my BC Rich Warlock only likes 40 - 100s. Which is a bit inconvenient, as they can be difficult to get in the brands that I like (it currently has D’Addario NYXLs on it because I couldn’t get Elixir Nanowebs), but it makes such a difference that it is worth persevering. I have tried alsorts of other strings, brands and gauges, with proper setups, and it just don’t like it.

I’ve also got a Dean Cadillac guitar that only likes 10s, but it’s not a bass so blah!

2 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Only one of my basses is fussy about string gauge, my BC Rich Warlock only likes 40 - 100s. Which is a bit inconvenient, as they can be difficult to get in the brands that I like (it currently has D’Addario NYXLs on it because I couldn’t get Elixir Nanowebs), but it makes such a difference that it is worth persevering. I have tried alsorts of other strings, brands and gauges, with proper setups, and it just don’t like it.

I’ve also got a Dean Cadillac guitar that only likes 10s, but it’s not a bass so blah!

I tried the nyxl string and felt they had a very slight higher tension.

Your bass obviously likes it 👍

It's made me wonder what other strings out there might sound even better .... But for now I'm happy I've found a string that has brought the bass to life.

I guess things like neck stiffness come to mind first in regards to string guage and tension.

• Like 1

(Have told this before) 35" 5-string Modulus Graphite Quantum and the B was lifeless. Tried lots of strings and went from .130 to thicker and thicker, but no. Once by accident had to put on a .120 B, and there it was! Even, and authoritative sound through all strings.

8 minutes ago, itu said:

(Have told this before) 35" 5-string Modulus Graphite Quantum and the B was lifeless. Tried lots of strings and went from .130 to thicker and thicker, but no. Once by accident had to put on a .120 B, and there it was! Even, and authoritative sound through all strings.

It's mad... Hard to explain.

I wonder how many basses get left on the shelf or sold on for this reason?

• Like 1

My strings stay the same (D'addario XL 45-105 - will accept 45-100 if they're already there because I'm lazy and I don't really notice the difference).  If the bass doesn't play well with my preferred strings then it's getting moved on.  I've found my favourite strings and grudge the expense and time of ar$ing about experimenting with other strings.

Edited by neepheid

53 minutes ago, neepheid said:

My strings stay the same (D'addario XL 45-105 - will accept 45-100 if they're already there because I'm lazy and I don't really notice the difference).  If the bass doesn't play well with my preferred strings then it's getting moved on.  I've found my favourite strings and grudge the expense and time of ar$ing about experimenting with other strings.

Fair enough...

Yeah totally. Basses have different character and different sounds and strings are as much a part of that. 

I’ve got D’Addario NYXLs on my active Yamahas, La Bella flatwounds on my precision, and D’Addario heavy nickel wounds on my Mustang. 
Each suits that bass perfectly.