Why become a member? ×

Behringer XR18 - Where next?

JPJ

So I've been a (mostly) happy Behringer XR18 user almost since they first appeared on these shores. It does everything I need it to do, and a few things I don't (such as automix) but Behringer's support for the necessary software has been patchy at best (no pun intended) and, following numerous threads on the XR18 user groups on Facebook, it seems there is an underlying reliability issue with the power supply board. Mine lives in a flight case with a Driverack, the router, and a draw for necessary bits and pieces, and I have an X-Touch in a separate flight case as physical faders are much easier to adjust on the fly when mixing side of stage whilst playing. 

Given my earlier comment about reliability, I am thinking of where I might go next, and I think I'll probably move away from the stage box style mixers to something more conventional. Given that I know and I am comfortable with the Behringer workflow, the most obvious next step is an x32 Compact but the x32 range is getting on in age too, and maybe there is a better solution out there. So here's the question, which digital desk would you move to next?

2 hours ago, JPJ said:

So I've been a (mostly) happy Behringer XR18 user almost since they first appeared on these shores. It does everything I need it to do, and a few things I don't (such as automix) but Behringer's support for the necessary software has been patchy at best (no pun intended) and, following numerous threads on the XR18 user groups on Facebook, it seems there is an underlying reliability issue with the power supply board. Mine lives in a flight case with a Driverack, the router, and a draw for necessary bits and pieces, and I have an X-Touch in a separate flight case as physical faders are much easier to adjust on the fly when mixing side of stage whilst playing. 

Given my earlier comment about reliability, I am thinking of where I might go next, and I think I'll probably move away from the stage box style mixers to something more conventional. Given that I know and I am comfortable with the Behringer workflow, the most obvious next step is an x32 Compact but the x32 range is getting on in age too, and maybe there is a better solution out there. So here's the question, which digital desk would you move to next?

How many inputs & Aux (monitors) do you need?

1 hour ago, BCH said:

How many inputs & Aux (monitors) do you need?

Well I haven’t ran out of either on the XR18 so 16 in, 6 out plus main L&R out of course. I do use input 17&18 for break music so a similar facility would be nice.

I have been looking too, I have a Soundcraft Ui16 but having seen the lack of support from Behringer and Soundcraft/Harmon/Samsung, I have been impressed with what I can see of Allen and Heath.  I am looking at the CQ20R, but if you want physical faders then you may need to go up the range to the Qu or Sq ranges. There are nice offerings from Zoom amongst others with faders.

I had an XR18, but the lack of any physical control meant I went for a ‘hybrid’ desk. I now use a QSC Touchmix 16 which is great - does everything the XR18 did and more, such as auto feedback control, room setup wizards. User interface is much easier and it has channel gain knobs which can be grabbed in an emergency, as well as a master knob - and programmable hot keys which can be programmed to suit (I have one as a kill all mics but leave the iPod inputs on, for example).