Why become a member? ×

NBD - My First Jazz

northcountrybob

My first jazz bass! A player series Fender.

For some reason I always thought I didn't like J Bass neck widths but the last time I really played one was probably 20 years ago now! I need to set it up and I have a Gotoh bridge for it. I'll mess with the pickups and wiring at some point too. I think the ground wire to the bridge might need looking at. 

It's a lot of fun. Lighter than my stingray. A gateway into the Jazz Bass world. 

If anyone has a link to a tort guard that would fit on this with no bother, I'd much appreciate it! 

jbass2.jpg

• Like 17

Cheers @Lozz196! I ordered a guard from that place in the end. Not arrived yet. It's meant to be dark red tort. hopefully it'll look good. If it doesn't fit I might try one of those listed in the accessories. 

Sat and played it this weekend. The spring spacing seems noticeably narrower than the fretboard width, but it feels fine to play. Also the back of the nut doesn't have a volute... of sorts, its more of a shallow gradient getting thicker from the first fret to behind the nut... feels ok though. The last one of these I had, I sent back because the neck was flat on the low E side from the nut to the 4th fret. Really badly carved, like a asymmetric neck profile. Bridge ground was also not connected (granted, an easy fix) but QC on these basses seems a bit hit and miss based own my experience. 

Saying that... this one is good enough. I put a gotoh bridge on it that I had lying around at the weekend too. 

• Like 2

I bought a 2022 player series Jazz Bass at the start of the year.

Its a pretty good bass, very nice to play and the pickups are fine, bridge and tuners are great too.

My only niggle is that the fret edges were a little sharp on purchase but seem less so after a good bit of playing.

At the end of the day it is not quite as good as my American Professional Jazz Bass but not by that big a margin. 

• Like 2