Why become a member? ×

Custom pickup makers?

Johncee

Hi

Looking for someone to make me a pair of custom pickup replacements for my 1970's Fernandes Jazz Bass.

The pickups on this are both "standard JB" neck pickup sized, so I need a pair of neck-pickup sized PUPs, but one needs to be opposite polarity, so I can't just buy 2 single neck pickups. Hence the need for a custom jobby.

Any recommendations? 

Edited by Johncee

Maybe have a word with Gemini Pickups - they're very helpful and willing to chat about special orders. I have a set of their jazz pickups and they're lovely. They also wound me a modded set of soapbars and some mini-humbuckers for a guitar I put together for a friend...all great stuff.

https://www.geminipickups.co.uk

Edited by ahpook
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Maybe have a word with Gemini Pickups - they're very helpful and willing to chat about special orders. I have a set of their jazz pickups and they're lovely. They also wound me a modded set of soapbars and some mini-humbuckers for a guitar I put together for a friend...all great stuff.

Thanks - just checked out their web page. Which jazz pickups do you have?

59 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Another +1 for Gemini, I have a Tbird and Rick pickup from them and they're fantastic, so nicely made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johncee said:

Thanks - just checked out their web page. Which jazz pickups do you have?

Dawn Lightnings. They're quite mellow for Jazz pickups, so if you wanted more bite I'd maybe go for another model, but they're really rather nice. Defined but more Caramel than Crunchie.

Edited by ahpook

14 hours ago, Johncee said:

Cheers for the replies. I gave Gemini a call, and the chap there was really helpful so I ordered a pair of their “mountain lightnings” which will hopefully get my trousers flapping.

That's great news - glad you've got some on the way 👍

Do report back and let us know how they sound...

On 22/11/2023 at 12:52, ahpook said:

Wouh, these pickups sounds awesome, at least judging from the demons/samples provided on the homepage, and are quite reasonably priced too.

Especially love how the bridge Mountain Lightning J sounds in the samples provided, might need to get this one for the bridge J pickup on my reverse EMG Geezer Butler P/J bass.

So much snap, punch and power, but at the same time beautiful articulated clarity and definition.

Sounds like it might even have me living on the bridge J alone, even if I love the tone of the neck/middle Geezer P (something the demo of the quite similarly  speced Gemini Ocean Thunder P pickup confirmed for me, being my absolute favorite of the Gemini P pickups (judging from the demos provided on their homepage at least)).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1