Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly good sounding rig!

kwmlondon

This is my dad’s OHM KA140 keyboard amp from the mid 80’s that he’s had since new. It’s got a nasty piezo tweeter and is quite shrill but makes for a fantastic bass amp! Really snappy and deep, very very modern and hifi. Honestly it’s one of the nicest tones I’ve achieved in years! 

IMG_8944.jpeg

IMG_8946.jpeg

• Like 3

A bass player I replaced, back in the 80s, left his Ohm amp and 2x15 cab in his old band's rehearsal room. It had a fantastic sound and even when I plugged my rubbish Carlsbro Stingray combo head into the speaker cab I got a great sound.

Unfortunately for me, he came by and picked his gear up after a couple of weeks and I was left with my rubbish Carlsbro Stingray combo, which sounded like a wet fart in comparison.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gjones said:

A bass player I replaced, back in the 80s, left his Ohm amp and 2x15 cab in his old band's rehearsal room. It had a fantastic sound and even when I plugged my rubbish Carlsbro Stingray combo head into the speaker cab I got a great sound.

Unfortunately for me, he came by and picked his gear up after a couple of weeks and I was left with my rubbish Carlsbro Stingray combo, which sounded like a wet fart in comparison.

They went into pro-PA installations by the start of the 90s didn't they? OHM?

12 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

It's not dignified what with my MarkBass CM121 on a trolley and the bass in a gig bag but I've gotten across London on the tube with it.

Many years back I used to take a 1x12 cab on luggage wheels - and a bass - from Clapham Junction to if memory serves Highgate for a jazz class. Ask me about the time I got there and found the escalator wasn’t working. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Many years back I used to take a 1x12 cab on luggage wheels - and a bass - from Clapham Junction to if memory serves Highgate for a jazz class. Ask me about the time I got there and found the escalator wasn’t working. 

Class d amps and neodymium drivers have changed my life!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2023 at 17:16, kwmlondon said:

He does and he has a bit of a whinge but I had the amp repaired when it went wrong so I’ve earned the right to use it as I wish! 

In my mind not really. Your dad bought the amp and paid good money for it that possibly was tight at the time like most of us.

It was designed for keyboards not bass guitar. Certainly use it but use it respecting your father's feelings on the matter.  Destroying it by using it "as I wish" would be a selfish act.

Edited by BassmanPaul

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

In my mind not really. Your dad bought the amp and paid good money for it that possibly was tight at the time like most of us.

It was designed for keyboards not bass guitar. Certainly use it but use it respecting your father's feelings on the matter.  Destroying it by using it "as I wish" would be a selfish act.

wait, are you my dad?!

Edited by kwmlondon

Should have made clear

- I was just at low practise levels, low volume

- using a preamp with compression 

- he trusts me with his kit, I’ve been helping I’m out for decades 

- I bought him a second rig, a light one that’s easier for him to lug around. 

• Like 2