Why become a member? ×

Sadowskys

Sibob

So I'm jumping the gun here a little bit, and probably being a little unfair to the, as yet untested, preamp in my new Squier Deluxe 5.
But I'm interested to know peoples views on the Sadowsky preamp found in the basses ([b]not the pedal/DI[/b]). Obviously I realise that I'm not gonna get a Sadowsky sound from a squier, but all this talk of them recently has piqued my interest.

Do people miss the mid control?, I think I'm right in saying that the onboards are all 2 band!?

Yeah, just peoples general views on the sound of their sadowskys really, compared to other pre's!?

Si

In my limited experience - a morning playing the demo models in the Sadowsky Brooklyn showroom - I didn't find the built-in pre-amp much use. However that might have been because the basses themselves and the rig I was playing through were so good no more tonal help was required.

You need to use it a little differently to the cut/boost pre's most of us are used to. The point is that the passive sound of the bass is so good that the pre just adds a little extra if you need it. I think they started adding the VTC as standard because, coming from cut/boost circuits, some people thought the Sado pre was too 'pushy'.

I find the Sadowsky a simple, no fuss pre.
I had a J-retro dlx before which had too many options for me- boost, cut, bright, mid etc. A very comprehensive piece of kit but a bit too involved when paired with what is essentially a simple bass.

I used to have a 5 string jazz with an old Bart pre which was v similar to the Sad- bass and treble boost only.
I've never ever cut bass or treble on any bass I've had tbh

The VTC if turned down will give you a duller sound.

Any other tweaking gets done on my amp.

I bought mine before the £ went through the floor against the $ so it was worth a punt :)

Owned two Sadowsky 's but never used the preamp. My first one (ash body, maple 'board, Sadowsky pu's) sounded incredible in passive mode but developed a really annoying dead spot on the g-string which made it unplayable for me. My second (#2424) was custom made, with a figured maple top and an ebony fretless fingerboard + EMG pu's: it sounded good but not great - traded it for an Alembic that sounded great but not good - traded it for a Steinberger that I still play...bottom line - the magic isn't to be found in the preamp.

Got to agree with most of the posts, the few Sadowskys I've played have sounded fantastic flat. The preamp used sparingly is enough. Also the VTC extra on the Metros I think are a must. I plan to put an order in for a Sadowsky asap, and I'm going to make sure to high heaven that it's got a VTC in it.

Thanks for the comments guys, tis all food for thought!

What are peoples general views on electronics? Is it generally a preamp or pickups that can let the other down, and therefore usually the first to change.
All my basses are passive, so I'm a bit 'Active' naive

Cheers
Si

I agree about the VTC. On the two Sadowsky's that I have owned I rarely used the preamp boost but was always tweaking the sound with the VTC. I tried a couple of Sadowsky's at the Bass Gallery that was not fitted with the VTC and found their treble a little too 'strident' - so in my view the Sadowsky pre amp without the VTC is not a great way to go.

[quote name='Sibob' post='484145' date='May 10 2009, 04:20 AM']Thanks for the comments guys, tis all food for thought!

What are peoples general views on electronics? Is it generally a preamp or pickups that can let the other down, and therefore usually the first to change.
All my basses are passive, so I'm a bit 'Active' naive

Cheers
Si[/quote]

Well if the PUPs are crap the preamp will boost a crap tone, simple as that. Certainly in doing so it might provide some balance (i.e. boost the low signal from middy PUPs), but IMO the place to start is PUPs, and only then if you then feel you need more tonal control at the bass - which is what having active electronics is all about really - start looking at on-board preamps. Remember that active electronics can present as many problems as they solve (Chardbass's comment is spot on), and even the best, Sadowsky included, can take something away from the passive tone of the instrument. The two versus three band issue is also key, you've got to know what you're trying to achieve with a preamp, not simply opt for the model that people are currently raving about (i.e., Sadowsky). The J-Retro and Sadowsky models for example are very different; I wouldn't want my Sadowsky pre on my fretless Jazz as it simply wouldn't do the job.

I think the point above about the natural tone of the Sadowsky basses being very good even before the active electronics are engaged is interesting, it's certainly true and quite possibly the reason their preamps sound so good!

Chris

The problem with on-board pre-amps on the whole is that until you hit J-Retro quality and prices, they simply aren't very good in comparison with what even the most basic of amps can offer in terms of tone-shaping.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record the only pre-amp that I'd consider fitting to a bass now would be the ACG because it offers something that can't be done at the amp.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='484208' date='May 10 2009, 10:38 AM']The problem with on-board pre-amps on the whole is that until you hit J-Retro quality and prices, they simply aren't very good in comparison with what even the most basic of amps can offer in terms of tone-shaping.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record the only pre-amp that I'd consider fitting to a bass now would be the ACG because it offers something that can't be done at the amp.[/quote]

Agree on pre-amps that do more than amps, but TBH I use actives largely because I like to have the control at the bass and not at the amp. Running the amp flat and tweaking at the bass strikes me as being easier than either tweaking the amp EQ or running pedals between the two and teaeking them, especially as at the moment we're playing quite an eclectic set which requires different EQ for virtually every song.

Cheers for the input Beedster.
I'll give the bass a couple of gigs through my rig and see where I'm at. Just playing about at home through my practice amp makes me think that the preamp is alright, and its the pickups letting the side down a tiny bit....we shall see!

Hmmmm, Nordstrands or Dimarzios :-P

Si

Edit:
Although I've just thought, I think I read in here about someone having problems with changing their Squier 5 pickups because of the sizes. They're like 5 gubbins stuffed into 4 cases....or something. Time to investigate

Edited by Sibob

I think the new Will Lee model is the first Sadowsky with a Mid control. Sadowsky and other pre makers often say that a three band circuit never sounds as good as a two band. I'm not sure about that, but I don't miss a mid on my Sadowsky Metro.

Even with my other basses with mid controls, I also have to tweak the mids on my amp. Unless the mid control on a bass is parametric or semiparametric, it's not going to do the job for me. But I don't want that many knobs on my bass!

• 5 months later...

[quote name='chardbass' post='484097' date='May 10 2009, 12:20 AM']I find the Sadowsky a simple, no fuss pre.
I had a J-retro dlx before which had too many options for me- boost, cut, bright, mid etc. A very comprehensive piece of kit but a bit too involved when paired with what is essentially a simple bass.

I used to have a 5 string jazz with an old Bart pre which was v similar to the Sad- bass and treble boost only.
I've never ever cut bass or treble on any bass I've had tbh

The VTC if turned down will give you a duller sound.

Any other tweaking gets done on my amp.

I bought mine before the £ went through the floor against the $ so it was worth a punt :)[/quote]

Is that you, Rich?