Why become a member? ×

The SWR RED HEAD, anyone still using them ?

funkgod

Hi all, just wanted to ask is anyone still using their red head ?

and how they think it fairs to other stuff they have tried, modern or old,

Im still using mine, and have tried a few others a few years back but just keep going to the red head. so nothing new in the last 6 or 7 years, and there is a reason for that

i think its become part of "my sound" now, and as much as i try when i tried others i am just now so use to it, that

i don't think the others sound like me, or more to the point, sounds like it, but its not just the sound its the way like your bass you get use to it.

i know exactly what setting to set if i want that nice clean studio sound with a bit of click from the frets, and the same if i want that Motown sound, its just something you create over a long time using something and being able to dial in that sound right away,  familiarity could be the death of advancement here i know, but again there is something else going on that i feel is missed on a lot of things today, again its "familiarity"

its abit like your studio headphones that you have had for years, and have got so use to them you know their faults, you know the hi's in them are not exactly how they sound in the monitors and that lack of wide mid in them, but you are so use to them you know how to eq the mix to compensate, so when you try a new " better " pair you then have to RE eq your head, and spend time

re eq ing just to get to the same place you was with your old pair, and i think that goes with alot of things when buying new gear, trying to get "your" sound out of a new piece of gear is it just something you had before ?

now... on saying that, i know it takes some a lot of trying new gear to find their sound and its only when you have tried quite a bit of gear you say to your self, "well actually i loved that sound from my old trace elliot, i was more at home with that" and you learn to live with that,

its a great adventure and a learning curve that most of us go through, all to get that sound that is in our heads.

so ... after all that, im stuck with the red head, and cant see myself in the future with anything else. although i do have a 2x12 silverado that does the same thing, its just to big to take out.

i have a few extension cabs i use with the red head depending on the gig, but overall im very happy with everything it still gives me.

I once used a Super Redhead 2x10 combo that was laid on by the venue. I recall it sounding good and being perfectly adequate for the job in hand. 

If that sounds like my damning it with faint praise, I'm not. 

Amps are either up to the task in question,  or they aren't. 

That covers power, tone, reliability,  ease of use...  whatever criteria you have.