Why become a member? ×

Putting Bass setting back to EADG from BEAD ...

Just curious at this stage. 
I got one of my basses set up by a tech a while back , and he did tell me it was a challenge to do so.

I will probably leave it tbh , but how difficult is it to adjust th3 setting back to EADG ? 
It has the recommended strings for BEAD tuning , which were new when given to tech to do the alteration. 
Thanks in advance .

To go back to standard EADG tuning, the bass may need a new nut cutting, and may need the truss rod tightening slightly. It will probably need the intonation adjusting. None of those things should be challenging for a decent tech. And adjusting from EADB to BEAD should have been even easier as the existing nut could just have its slots widened rather than needing to be replaced. Time to find a new tech I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Going to lower gauge strings shouldn't require a new nut cut, might, but most likely not necessary (speaking from experience).

Other than that obviously new lower gauge strings fit for the tuning, re-setting intonation, and if there is any tension difference from the current set of strings most likely re-setting the neck relief (truss rod adjustment) as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends how the nut was cut.  I have never needed a new nut going back to EADG from my BEAD basses.  I guess if you had it cut cut for a .145 and you're stringing up with a .095 you may run into issues, but even then, under tension with a good break angle at the headstock, I can only imagine it would be an issue bending notes really quite heavily in the first position, otherwise it'll work just fine.  Just switch the strings and see.

Regarding truss rod, chances are very high that BEAD tuning has less tension than the EADG (the extra G in an average set of strings will have ~10lb extra tension than the missing B) you'll go for, so it'll likely need tightening a touch, and you'll need to look at intonation like you would with any string change, but it should all be easy enough, mostly just fine tuning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kev said:

Yeah, it's just going to be a matter of trying it and seeing what happens, can't hurt 🙂

Yes - this  ^

My guess is that it will work fine with just a tweak of the intonation.  I think it is unlikely that the nut slot size will be an issue unless you do bass string bends like Clapton does on his electric  :D 

• Haha 1