Why become a member? ×

Nice DB Solo

bassace

Brilliant. His mastery off the fingerboard and his intonation just for starters. Notice he's humming along to his tune, playing what he hears.

Over in my EB world I'm reminded again - why do EBs have dots all over the neck, and lines on most fretless?

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

Over in my EB world I'm reminded again - why do EBs have dots all over the neck, and lines on most fretless?

At the risk.of stating the obvious, it's to show you where the notes are. You could flip it around and ask, what's the advantage to not having them?

On 08/11/2023 at 12:18, Soledad said:

Brilliant. His mastery off the fingerboard and his intonation just for starters. Notice he's humming along to his tune, playing what he hears.

Much easier to know where you are on a double bass due to that nice neck joint.  Also perhaps a small matter of history in that double bass players are looking at music so can't see their hands so good technique developed to ensure you don't need to.  I almost never look at my left hand on dB but often have a quick check on that long long ebass neck. ( No lines on the necks of my fretless bases, dots though)

Same tuning, different instruments. 

• Like 1

Funnily enough my NS NXT has dots all over the fingerboard. I try not to look because there’s too many of them and they put me off. Oh and no lines on my fretless P bass either 😉

2 hours ago, JPJ said:

Funnily enough my NS NXT has dots all over the fingerboard. I try not to look because there’s too many of them and they put me off. Oh and no lines on my fretless P bass either 😉

My current Sandberg fretless is lined but not my choice, just how it came. I absolutely don't see any point of lines, you can't see them if you're playing in a normal position anyway, and they discourage the development of ear/muscle training for accurate intonation. I also dislike dots or other markers on fingerboards for the same reason (mainly that the player can't see them anyway). I kind of grew up on classical and flamenco guitars (no marks at all anywhere). It's amazing how quickly you learn your way around. I accept that's how basses come, but if I ever had the choice I'd get rid of the lot (side markers n all).

• Like 1