Why become a member? ×

New Blue Bass Day!

Telebass

Ok, it was yesterday, or maybe the day before...20231018_195200.thumb.jpg.b6e9acc83b6c6f612fe7725df2dd2470.jpg20231018_195301.thumb.jpg.e5fe1b9ebbe8e95c33cdca25496e0d14.jpg20231018_195227.thumb.jpg.0aa0d2f01269cef6554e20d608f6f30c.jpg

Cheap and pretty damned cheerful!

After some basic tweaks,  it played well. Will do a more extensive setup once the Fender 9050 flats turn up.

Squier Sonic Precision Bass in California Blue. 

Edited by Telebass
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a bit more info.

Two sets of Fender 9050L flats arrived, one set for each P. Did the new one first, not much adjustment needed, quite pleased.

Did the older bass then, equally easy to dial in. One thing I noticed was that the BBOT on the Squier looks noticeably heftier than the MIM 2003 original on the Fender. This irritates me somewhat, and I may yet replace both bridges. The Gotoh 201B-4 is the current favourite.

Plugging in and noodling through the Tascam trainer: the Squier is as loud, but is quite harsh-sounding compared to the Fender, and the controls are not wonderful. So I have a Tonerider pickup and a KiOgon loom here, and once I've spent the next set of free time rebuilding the PC i'm typing on, I'll rework the Squier. My expectations are not high, I'll be entirely happy if it just smooths things out a bit.

Edited by Telebass
typo

12 hours ago, Telebass said:

OK, a bit more info.

Two sets of Fender 9050L flats arrived, one set for each P. Did the new one first, not much adjustment needed, quite pleased.

Did the older bass then, equally easy to dial in. One thing I noticed was that the BBOT on the Squier looks noticeably heftier than the MIM 2003 original on the Fender. This irritates me somewhat, and I may yet replace both bridges. The Gotoh 201B-4 is the current favourite.

Plugging in and noodling through the Tascam trainer: the Squier is as loud, but is quite harsh-sounding compared to the Fender, and the controls are not wonderful. So I have a Tonerider pickup and a KiOgon loom here, and once I've spent the next set of free time rebuilding the PC i'm typing on, I'll rework the Squier. My expectations are not high, I'll be entirely happy if it just smooths things out a bit.

Have you tried it through an amp?

Other than that, this Tascam bass trainer?

th.jpeg-1,585.jpg

23 hours ago, Telebass said:

OK, a bit more info.

The harshness could most likely be the electrical parts, I have similar with my Mustang basses, the Squier having way more top end than the JMJ. A look at the schematics showed 500k pots in the Squier rather than 250s that Fender usually use, so similarly a KiOgon loom with 250s is waiting to be installed. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 20:02, Lozz196 said:

The harshness could most likely be the electrical parts, I have similar with my Mustang basses, the Squier having way more top end than the JMJ. A look at the schematics showed 500k pots in the Squier rather than 250s that Fender usually use, so similarly a KiOgon loom with 250s is waiting to be installed. 

That makes a lot of sense, will check when I do the swap.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Telebass said:

Oh dear...

New Blue Bass has a faulty truss rod. Back it goes.

CV 70s P incoming!

There will doubtless be a thread entitled New Brown Bass Day in the very near future...

:D

Brown? Shame, that is a bit of a retrograde step.  After blue, you should be progressing to shell pink or metallic lime green.