Why become a member? ×

Tablet stands

Jakester

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tablet stand?

I use an iPad for my music (I play in an orchestra) and also for controlling the PA when gigging and it's not set up next to me. 

I have a cheapo stand but the threaded bolts are already coming loose, and it's not the most sturdy of things. 

I prefer a specific tablet stand to a music stand because they're smaller and easier to carry (handy when you've got a bass, amp, pedals, double bass, and PA to shift!)

I don't want a "clamp-on" one that fits on a music stand - I'd much prefer a dedicated stand. My usual first port of call would be Hercules, but they seem to only do a clamp one. K&M seem to offer one but only on a mic stand bass, which means it would be less portable than I'd like. 

Anyone use anything else?

I bought a cheapo amazon holder, and I bought it again, after it broke to pieces, when the previous stand fell to the floor. A good one would be nice, but haven't found a decent yet.

Mic stands are heavy, and my solution has been a carbon camera tripod. Weighs nothing and is sturdy, Sirui T-025. It is my travel tripod, but lately there hasn't been so much travelling or photographing.

On 09/10/2023 at 18:01, jimmyb625 said:

No help from me I'm afraid, as I use the K&M one. I don't find it much of a problem to take an extra mic stand for it, but I know everyone has a different setup.

On 09/10/2023 at 21:50, SuperSeagull said:

Likewise have a K&M one permanently attached to a mic stand for when I’m playing at Church. 

The problem is I don’t want or need a mic stand - I don’t sing or have any vocal interaction whatsoever, so it’s really overkill.

8 hours ago, Jakester said:

The problem is I don’t want or need a mic stand - I don’t sing or have any vocal interaction whatsoever, so it’s really overkill.

It's not a mic stand if it's just holding your tablet. Get the K&M holder that fits to the top of the stand (rather than the side) and the appropriate K&M "mic" stand to got with it. IME the K&M stands and accessories are virtually bomb proof and should last you for the rest of your gigging days.

19 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's not a mic stand if it's just holding your tablet. Get the K&M holder that fits to the top of the stand (rather than the side) and the appropriate K&M "mic" stand to got with it. IME the K&M stands and accessories are virtually bomb proof and should last you for the rest of your gigging days.

Thanks - I have a K&M stool so  agreE they’re great, but then I have to carry a mic stand, which I want to avoid. At present, all my gear fits into a bag, including the presently flimsy tablet stand. A mic stand won’t break down small enough to fit. 

48 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Thanks - I have a K&M stool so  agreE they’re great, but then I have to carry a mic stand, which I want to avoid. At present, all my gear fits into a bag, including the presently flimsy tablet stand. A mic stand won’t break down small enough to fit. 

I think you'll find that anything that packs down small enough to fit in your bag will be equally flimsy. You might need to treat it as a disposable item and just buy another when the previous one wears out.

One of the advantages in playing in originals bands is that the PA is always supplied and they generally have spare mic stands that I have been able to use for similar requirements - Theremin or Tenori-On.

how big is your bag? K+M make a 3 section mic stand that folds down smaller than most, 565mm long when folded and about 1.5kg these are the most compact ones i've come cross whilst still being nice and strong.

Mic Stand

we have some of these at church and they're very good

Matt

Edited by Matt P
wrong length

On 11/10/2023 at 00:04, Jakester said:

Neither do I but it works very well as a stand for a tablet holder which appears to be what you need. 

• Like 1