Why become a member? ×

Sound like Lemmy! Maybe...

asingardenof

We cover Ace of Spades and we have been struggling to really get the Motorhead sound across; we haven't got a wall of Marshalls after all.  I have been using distortion and a bit of chorus and the sound is good, though not quite 'Motorhead'.  I would like to buy one of these but it might have to wait until Christmas, we have a bit of new mortgage pain coming.

13 hours ago, BillyBass said:

We cover Ace of Spades and we have been struggling to really get the Motorhead sound across; we haven't got a wall of Marshalls after all.  I have been using distortion and a bit of chorus and the sound is good, though not quite 'Motorhead'.  I would like to buy one of these but it might have to wait until Christmas, we have a bit of new mortgage pain coming.

Have you tried the dirt cheap but genuinely great Joyo British Sound, which is a clone of the Tech 21 British, and which is an all analog a preamp/drive designed specifically to mimic a wide variety of classic Marshall amp tones?

Worth a shot I'd say, at least.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Have you tried the dirt cheap but genuinely great Joyo British Sound, which is a clone of the Tech 21 British, and which was as a preamp/drive designed specifically to mimic a wide variety of classic Marshall amp tones?

Worth a shot I'd say, at least.

Possibly but this is a guitar pedal, not necessarily tuned for bass and even though its cheap, I don't want to throw a small amount of money away on something that might not be any better than what I already have.

As well as the sound, the other thing that impresses about the Motorbass video reviews is the fact that the volume isn't affected by the drive knob.

I use an EHX od glove for this kind of tone

I have a generally grindy tone from my Bass soul food, but when I add the glove, it well and truly hits the spot through my marshall dbs rig

I did try both the T21 and Joyo british sound - and it sounded muffled and indistinct to me. Iwould imagine that'll be down to the baked in eq curve

Edited by dudewheresmybass

4 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Possibly but this is a guitar pedal, not necessarily tuned for bass and even though its cheap, I don't want to throw a small amount of money away on something that might not be any better than what I already have.

As well as the sound, the other thing that impresses about the Motorbass video reviews is the fact that the volume isn't affected by the drive knob.

That’s a big selling point for me, being able to add the gain/drive without added volume.

• Like 1

Nice Noise!...

I'm more the Hawkwind Space Ritual, DOREMI - Motörhead Overkill kinda sound with his Melodic lead bass lines than the later Motör-Metäl-Müsh...

There is an Xotic SL (Super Lead) Drive pedal with internal DIP Switch for selecting between SL and SB, £120ish.

As @Baloney Balderdash posted the Joyo British at £25ish SH sounds good... So much so, that i haven't seen mine since it's make-over as it's been nabbed and now on my Son's Bass Board...

BritishSound.thumb.jpg.7e49efbb84776009b0fc18fa3f34d363.jpg

...replacing the Mid-modded Behringer Beady-Eye, that has now had it's own make-over...

20231003_221308.thumb.jpg.24c09ec0dc027df4693f6621e2607c4e.jpg

But, I loves my Zoom B1on with Marshall SB Amp 'n 4x12 Cab Sim at £20ish SH... I picked up a SH Zoom B1Xon - the expression pedal version - for a tenner the other week... £10?!

20230915_233202.thumb.jpg.58727148dae127bdf57c786e1ebf3a9f.jpg

Much more my budget than an OKKO MotöBass at £160ish!

...but, more than happy to watch and listen to our @CiciBassRocking and Spacing Out...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1