Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott GP7 AH 130s - loud enough to gig with?

Jamesemt

So I'm looking for a cheapie setup for a rock band as I've been away from playing for 10 years.

Lurking on Gumtree there is an immaculate TE 1153T cab for £100 and I've seen the GP7 on ebay looking like it might go very cheap too.

Is the amp likely to be loud enough? I'm thinking I'll need another 8 ohm cab to get full power out of the head.

I don't want to spend a lot of cash and this setup looks like it would be under £200...to then spend £150 ish on a matching 2x10?

Tbh I'm lost with amps - last time I was in a band I had a Genz-Benz shuttle combo with an svt210av which was awesome.

Years ago I gigged with a TE 130 watt head, but it was into a 2x15 4 ohm cab so using

all the power it could muster. Was okay too if I remember correctly.

TBH for your budget of around £350 you’re getting near the price of a s/h Fender Rumble

500V3 combo, which is light as anything and sounds ace. That’s what I would go for, 

assuming portability is a key requirement of course. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Personally I would grab the TE Elf and run it into a 4 ohm cab such as 210 or 212 etc 

Its low cost sounds amazing and loud for a tiny head 

Can confirm, I've been told to turn down my Elf run through a 4 ohm 2x10 (albeit my 2x10 isn't a low budget one when bought new!), and they definitely sound fantastic.

On 30/09/2023 at 22:28, Jamesemt said:

Thanks- I'll put a Rumble on the shortlist...doesn't seem to be loads around second hand though.

37 minutes ago, Norris said:

There's a reason for that ;)

At some point I’m sure I’ll get one.

On 30/09/2023 at 17:05, Jamesemt said:

So I'm looking for a cheapie setup for a rock band as I've been away from playing for 10 years.

Lurking on Gumtree there is an immaculate TE 1153T cab for £100 and I've seen the GP7 on ebay looking like it might go very cheap too.

Is the amp likely to be loud enough? I'm thinking I'll need another 8 ohm cab to get full power out of the head.

I don't want to spend a lot of cash and this setup looks like it would be under £200...to then spend £150 ish on a matching 2x10?

Tbh I'm lost with amps - last time I was in a band I had a Genz-Benz shuttle combo with an svt210av which was awesome.

I'd be happy with that TE setup for volume and quality. If its not loud ebough then chances are the band are too loud, or youre playing a venue that youll be needing pa support anyway-your amp would them mainly be for monitoring.

Te stuff is heavy  and lumping it about can become tedious pretty quickly I find. I love my te though and because I rarely play gigs where I need it, I don't mind rolling it out on the occasions that I need it. All really depends on your usage!

• Thanks 1