Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR1205 Premium Bass - Needing some TLC REDUCED TO £300 *on hold*
£400
Edinburgh

Robert Manning

reduced to £300 for collection. 
Picked this up from Facebook marketplace 18 months ago down south, from a lady who's names escapes me... believe this used to believe to Biro on here...

I paid 560 for it which was a decent price. Used this for a recording project and have really enjoyed the Bass. 

When I moved to Scotland it suffered a bit of a knock and the pots took a bit of a beating,

I've taken it to Guitar Guitar, and JA Guitar Repairs (he's cool) in Edinburgh, both of which have done an okay job of trying to fix it but its not 100% full health... 

The good:

-The neck is stunning

-The frets are still perfect, can take the action down to an impossible low level and sting frets cleanly

-Fret ends are finished to perfection, I think this has maybe been done since new because they are beautifully rounded and smooth.

-Nordy big singles 

The bad:

-Truss rod cover missing (prev owner)

-Pots are scratchy but functional

-Sometimes, but NOT always we have single coil hum that's annoying... wiring is not earthed properly (maybe? I'm not a bass doctor) 

I just played it a monument ago, if I turn the blend pot back and forth a few times the hum stops. 

-A prev owner I think has changed the 3 way mid selector switch to a two way; which I feel also tells me the wiring has been looked at before.

The ugly:

- Guitar Guitar gave it back to me with two missing screws on the rear cavity... and lost them. NICE. sure they can be picked up cheap. 

ive already sunk some time and money into sorting this out.  so Im going to sell it a loss too someone on here that can probably fix it with ease, convert it to passive, or have pots to spare. it could just need new pots.. I don't think the actual preamp is damaged and it would make sense that the pots are the reason for the issues as they got hurt during the move. 

collection from Edinburgh 

Send us a DM for more info incase I missed anything. 

Cheers!

Robert. 

_IMG_6712.jpeg

IMG_6713.jpeg

IMG_6714.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6716.jpeg

IMG_6717.jpeg

IMG_6718.jpeg

IMG_6719.jpeg

IMG_6720.jpeg

IMG_6721.jpeg

IMG_6722.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 11.05.23.png

Edited by Robert Manning
  • Like 7

Honestly wondering if this is my old bass. If so, it's a killer instrument.

EDIT: Just read the post more carefully and yes, confirmed via serial, it is my old bass. Just a fantastic instrument. I had the fret ends finished by a luthier so I can confirm that too. I don't think I tinkered with the mid frequency switch though. It is possible, but unlikely, that the truss rod cover stayed with me, so if I find it the new owner can have that too.

Sample here:

Edited by biro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, biro said:

Honestly wondering if this is my old bass. If so, it's a killer instrument.

EDIT: Just read the post more carefully and yes, confirmed via serial, it is my old bass. Just a fantastic instrument. I had the fret ends finished by a luthier so I can confirm that too. I don't think I tinkered with the mid frequency switch though. It is possible, but unlikely, that the truss rod cover stayed with me, so if I find it the new owner can have that too.

Sample here:

Nice one man thanks for the info!

yeah those fret ends are a work of art. I did suspect they were done by a luthier. It’s a great touch hope the photos do show this. 

sure bass will make someone very happy. Once it’s had some love. 

cheers. Rob. 

On 30/09/2023 at 11:09, Robert Manning said:

-A prev owner I think has changed the 3 way mid selector switch to a two way; which I feel also tells me the wiring has been looked at before.

23 hours ago, 2pods said:

You're right about the switches. they're replacements,

as the originals are spade shaped, rather than rounded.

I think this is wrong. If this is an early 1205, those are the right switches. I have a 1605 from the first run of these, it has the same switches and the mid control is only two way. The spade shaped 3 way switches came later (I have some that came later with those).

These are the right switches for the age.

And yes, mad not to for that price, if I didn't already have too many I would go for that!

• Thanks 2

• Robert Manning changed the title to Ibanez SR1205 Premium Bass - Needing some TLC REDUCED TO £300
  • Robert Manning changed the title to Ibanez SR1205 Premium Bass - Needing some TLC REDUCED TO £300 *on hold*