Why become a member? ×

Preamps ??!@

Bobb

Hi - bit of a newbie to double bass and I’m trying to figure out how I get a great amplified sound for upcoming gigs .. hard to replicate gig day sound at home as I have a small Phil Jones bass combo and neighbours !
Currently running my double bass with Fishman pickups through a Sansamp VT bass DI with a Rafferty HPF  . Can this combo work for me do you think ? The Sansamp better for electric bass I feel ? Would love to get any thoughts on the gear etc … much appreciated. 

IMG_5055.jpeg

It's working at home so should work equally fine at a gig, so long as the stage sound or FOH doesn't come back to bite you with feedback.

I did my level best with filters to kill feedback at home and it was fine. Audition was not fine.

Borrow a big amp and have at it before you need to hit the stage. No guarantees but a much better chance of success.

Obviously it’s all about getting the tone you want, but I’ve found the Stanley Clarke pre amp works really well. 

To be honest, you should be fine with what you have. As someone who has spent a huge amount on stuff I don’t need, I’d go with what you know and are confident at using.

@Bobb  You already have a variable HPF and plenty of EQ options - I would do a few gigs with that gear first and see how you get on.  No need to buy more gear preemptively.

Good clip here of John Patitucci talking through how he sets up his amp: https://youtu.be/sNQclaAmyX8?t=85 

What style of music is it (which requires grind and drive)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you'll be able to find out how you'll sound until you plug in and start sound checking but you seem to have enough controls there - unless you're going for a full on jazz club sound - I know nothing about that.

I've only ever gigged with a KK pure preamp going into an amp or PA - only had feedback once in pub with wooden floor boards & I usually tape up the sound holes with masking tape (not a great look admittedly, foam inserts are better if you can knock up some). Hope the gigs go well.

image.png.5e4e1ecb73ad2d6bb39f60aca037eab7.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, petebassist said:

I don't think you'll be able to find out how you'll sound until you plug in and start sound checking but you seem to have enough controls there - unless you're going for a full on jazz club sound - I know nothing about that.

I've only ever gigged with a KK pure preamp going into an amp or PA - only had feedback once in pub with wooden floor boards & I usually tape up the sound holes with masking tape (not a great look admittedly, foam inserts are better if you can knock up some). Hope the gigs go well.

image.png.5e4e1ecb73ad2d6bb39f60aca037eab7.png

I’ve used teatowels stuffed into the F holes before!

Now I have both a piezo and magnetic pickup fitted, so I can swap between them if feedback is too bad

• Haha 1

I've found the pjb kit works fine alone. Nice high piezo friendly input impedance and a built in hpf.  Mr Jones knows a thing or two about bass amplification

Depends on the pickup tho, I guess.. certainly works nicely with my realist sound clamp...so long as it's clamped to the right bit of bridge with the right amount of pressure.