Why become a member? ×

Fretless Safran Hollow Body Single Cut £400- *SOLD*
£1250
Totnes, Devon

Born 2B Mild

Having ran Bass Gear for eight years, I had the pick for myself of whatever I could afford. In that time, the best fretless I EVER had in the shop was this beauty. I just had to have her, but times change and I'm thinning the herd ahead of a house move. 

Hand made by master luthier Umut Dal in April 2015 using his own bridge and pickup design, this light weight hollow bodied bass has a top wood of master grade flamed katalox and katalox fingerboard.  It has descrete fretmarkings on the side of the fingerboard. If I needed Umut to make me a replacement now, I suspect it would be at least double what I'm asking for it.

If you are interested in having a truly expressive fretless then you really must try this.

Safran 11.jpg

Safran 12.jpg

Safran 13.jpg

Safran 01.jpg

Safran 02.jpg

Safran 03.jpg

Safran 04.jpg

Safran 05.jpg

Safran 06.jpg

Safran 07.jpg

Safran 08.jpg

Safran 09.jpg

Safran 10.jpg

Edited by Cat Burrito
Sold
  • Like 13

That's a very unusual and interesting bass! Can you provide a few more details:

- What is the coil configuration of the pickup and any switching options?

- Does it also have piezo saddles (I'm guessing not as I can't see a battery compartment)?

- Are there any controls or is it direct to jack?

I'd love to hear how it sounds, can you provide a demo of some sort?

Thanks

Edited by ikay

2 hours ago, ikay said:

That's a very unusual and interesting bass! Can you provide a few more details:

- What is the coil configuration of the pickup and any switching options?

- Does it also have piezo saddles (I'm guessing not as I can't see a battery compartment)?

- Are there any controls or is it direct to jack?

I'd love to hear how it sounds, can you provide a demo of some sort?

Thanks

There are NO controls, no pickup variations and no piezo (interesting though, that could be a retro fit).

A demo recording? Gawd I will give it a try. I'd much rather a frequent fretless player come and do that. Any volunteers?

Do I need this bass? No

Do I want this bass? Hell yes

Am I going to buy it? Damn I'm trying hard not to, I've reached a point with my basses as which I've found the bass I play the most is a fretless Precision with the Wizard PUP wired straight to the O/P socket, there's something wonderfully honest (and DB-like) about the need to derive tone and volume from fingers and not electrics.

Also, the more I have to tinker with, the more I tinker, a tinker free bass is so much less stress :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Safran basses are top gear. I've got a solid body 6 strings with a volume and pickup balance, all passive. Sounds of fingers and woods.  Great price ! If my actual position was not so ... so-so ... I would jump on it ! ... And Safran is a rare bird to find on 2nd hand market ... 

• Like 1

• Cat Burrito changed the title to Fretless Safran Hollow Body Single Cut £400- *SOLD*