Why become a member? ×

Brooks Bass Guitars...

bassmayhem

A week ago this little one man enterprise in the Netherlands caught my eye: Brooks Bass Guitars. https://www.brooksbassguitars.com/

The guy is truly into Gibson basses, which has never been my cup of tea. He even wrote a book about Gibson basses.

image.thumb.png.539bfe52ed4aed0175a0012fbb52ada5.png

Anyway, Rob builds his own versions of Gibson bass models, but with a twist. I totally fell in love with his EB-TB bass, a fusion of the first model EB0 (like a Les Paul Special) and the Thunderbird.

Absolutely gorgeous! I just had to order one, based on the design alone. So - now it is ordered. ;) It will look like this:
brooks-eb-tb-full3-1500_orig.jpg.ee83b0b3595532d1d7bd8171d1940fb1.jpg

Classic but yet not. Classy!

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

So - now it is ordered. ;) It will look like this:

Wow -That´s an eye opener. What about some details? Looks like short scale?!

I did miss that Grabbird thread , and although I´m not really into the thunderbird design, I´m deeply impressed by that workmanship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smithy said:

I did miss that Grabbird thread , and although I´m not really into the thunderbird design, I´m deeply impressed by that workmanship.

No, it's 34" scale.
I enlarged the EB-0 (LP Jr DC) body a bit to make the proportions fit the scale length. And to prevent neck dive.

You see the entire build proces here:
https://www.brooksbassguitars.com/brooks-eb-tb.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smithy said:

It is a 34" scale bass with a T-bird construction in an EB0/ LP Special shape. 19 mm / 3/4" string spacing at bridge. The body is a bit bigger and wider than you think; it fools the eye.

Edited by bassmayhem

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never owned a Gibson bass. The closest I've been was when I missed the deal on a Memphis Les Paul, the hollowbody shortscale bass. This is not a Gibson, but it shares a lot of the DNA with some classic Gibson basses, but with the Dutch twist. ;) I've almost never had a bass with neck thru body, except the old Aria SB1000 fretless I bought this summer. (It is for sale, if someone is interested...) And some other obscure instruments way back in the past. I am a Fender type bass guy, so now a new chapter begins... ;) 

• Like 1

I sincerely hope that when you pick up this bass, you can detach yourself from the Fender (type) basses you own or have owned in the past. 😉
This is an entirely different animal. Both ergonomically and sound wise.
Can't wait to see and hear you play it!

Cheers to a new chapter!🍻

• Like 1