Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass bargains for modding?

Jamesemt

I've recently come back to the bass after a long time away. 

In the past there was always some bass bargain which punched well above it's weight - I was into the SX thing and still have a highly moded Jazz. Then I remember the Squier VM line, so is there an equivalent these days? 

I guess I'm talking about a prime modding platform with a decent quality finish on the body. 

Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Jamesemt said:

Yeah thanks for that - I'm aware of the HB instruments and am tempted to go that route. On a related topic - what happened to the Overwater by Tanglewood basses? They seem to have completely disappeared. 

They still crop up second hand occasionally. 

Vintage are another great brand. If you can find one they punch well above their weight. 

There is fun to be had creating your own Frankenbass, but it's worth bearing in mind that buying a cheap bass that costs, say £100 - £200 and spending hundreds more on modding it can end up costing the same as buying a more expensive instrument. Resale value will not be high and you'll never get back anything like what you spend on it. A HB or similar will always be a HB or similar, regardless of what you do to it, in the eyes of a potential buyer.

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

There is fun to be had creating your own Frankenbass, but it's worth bearing in mind that buying a cheap bass that costs, say £100 - £200 and spending hundreds more on modding it can end up costing the same as buying a more expensive instrument. Resale value will not be high and you'll never get back anything like what you spend on it. A HB or similar will always be a HB or similar, regardless of what you do to it, in the eyes of a potential buyer.

I haven't gone down this route yet, but I would imagine that modding a bass to your own specifications means resale value isn't high on the prioirites list.