Why become a member? ×

Quick question about Fender Neck thickness for those that know

Linus27

I play a 62 Reissue fretless Fender Precision. The neck is slim and feels wonderful. I also have a 62 Reissue fretless Jazz which has a super thin neck, probably a little too thin and flat for my liking but ok. I also have a 70's Reissue fretless Precision which has a chunkier, fatter neck than my 62 Precision but I do like it but it's not as comfortable as my 62 Precision.

I played a genuine 78 fretless Precision the other week and the neck was like a baseball bat. I also played a fretted 73 Telcaster bass and again the neck was like a baseball bat. I've also played a few modern fretted Fender Jazz and Precision basses recently and again I've been quite surprised at how chunky the necks have been. The only one that actually felt comfortable was a Squier 40th Anniversary Precision.

I like the look of a late 50's fretted Fender Precision, something like a 57 reissue with a maple neck but I'm wondering how fat and chunky a 50's neck is going to be, especially a late 50's Precision. Is it going to be closer to a 62 Precision or chunky like a 70's Precision or even chunkier still. So how does a 50's neck compare to a 60's, 70's and even modern Precision neck?

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

They’re usually wider - 44mm as oppose to 42 - but shallower in depth.

Wider as in a 70's neck? I don't mind wider and shallower is better for me. Just measured my 70's Precision and that is 42mm 👍

Edited by Linus27

I’m mainly a jazz bass man but I’ve had quite a few precisions over the last couple of years and the necks vary so much, my 71 is 40mm nut and very slim front to back which is nothing like the reissues, shame they didn’t copy those, I’ve recently bought a AVRI 62 P which has the 44mm nut but it’s very slim front to back, you might like them Linus,

I haven’t got a 57 but here is the spec for a US one , 

Body Material: Alder

Body Details: Solid alder body

Neck Material: Maple

Fingerboard Material: Maple

Neck Profile: Medium "C"

Neck Thickness (IN): 1st- .81" 12th- .94"

Fingerboard Radius: 7.25"

Nut Width: 1-3/4"

Scale Length: 34"

Neck Details: Maple neck with unbound maple fingerboard

Electronics: Original; Fender pickup, master volume, master tone

Weight: 8lbs 14oz

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 18:12, Linus27 said:

I play a 62 Reissue fretless Fender Precision. The neck is slim and feels wonderful. I also have a 62 Reissue fretless Jazz which has a super thin neck, probably a little too thin and flat for my liking but ok. I also have a 70's Reissue fretless Precision which has a chunkier, fatter neck than my 62 Precision but I do like it but it's not as comfortable as my 62 Precision.

I played a genuine 78 fretless Precision the other week and the neck was like a baseball bat. I also played a fretted 73 Telcaster bass and again the neck was like a baseball bat. I've also played a few modern fretted Fender Jazz and Precision basses recently and again I've been quite surprised at how chunky the necks have been. The only one that actually felt comfortable was a Squier 40th Anniversary Precision.

I like the look of a late 50's fretted Fender Precision, something like a 57 reissue with a maple neck but I'm wondering how fat and chunky a 50's neck is going to be, especially a late 50's Precision. Is it going to be closer to a 62 Precision or chunky like a 70's Precision or even chunkier still. So how does a 50's neck compare to a 60's, 70's and even modern Precision neck?

Sometimes Your emotions, feelings and visions could not be perfect.

Edited by nilorius