Why become a member? ×

SolidGoldFX Beta MkII in a gigging context?

Osiris

Today I had the chance to play through a SolidGoldFX Beta MkII as well as make a direct comparison to the new Beta MkV. While the MkV is the more versatile of the two I preferred the drive character of the MkII, especially in preamp mode with the gain pushed which introduced just enough break up to really bring the bass tone alive. Now, the MkII has a reputation for being dark and boosting the low end, although I didn't get to try it a really loud volume so I couldn't decide if it was a bass boost as such or more of a roll off of the higher frequencies giving the impression of a low end boost.

So my question is, has anyone used them in a band/gigging situation, and, what were the results? For example, at gig volume does it add a load of extra bass that affects the mix and causes a load of stage resonance? Or is it more of an attenuation of the high end that leaves the lows largely intact? 

For context, I'm not looking for an always on sound but something to kick in for a few songs so the sound needs to work alongside my clean tone, so while a darker tone is fine, I'm not looking for a big boost to the low frequencies, more of a tonal fattening with some saturation type thing.

So I have a Fairfield Barbershop clone I made. 
And @jimbobothy has at least one Beta Mk2. 

Both sound glorious, and from similar drive ballparks -  and we spent a wee while geeking out and trying to make them sound similar - which they can do, but the Beta has a bit of a bass boost thing going on.

My take on it  - was the Beta sounded amazing but with the bass boost it was probably more of a "always on" pedal - whereas the Barbershop was flatter response.  I figured the Mk5 probably let you fix that problem/feature. 

It's a lovely sounding thing the Beta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @LukeFRC that's really helpful. It sounds like the bass boost could be an issue as it wouldn't work as an always on pedal with out set. I was able to directly compare the Mk2 to the Mk5 yesterday too and while the Mk5 is way more flexible and doesn't have the inherent deeper and darker tone of the Mk2 (unless you dial it in!) I personally preferred the smoothness of the drive from the Mk2. That's not to say the Mk5 is grainy, if that makes sense, but the Mk2 just had what I was looking for, albeit without the exaggerated lows.

And thanks for the recommendation of the Fairfield Barbershop, I shall investigate...

11 hours ago, Osiris said:

Yes, been using one for a few years, it's 90% of what I'm looking for but a little bit grainy with IEM's, so looking for something with a bit of a smoother drive sound.

Phat Phuk B is the only other pedal I can think of that has a 'smooth' drive sound. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/09/2023 at 20:37, dannybuoy said:

I thought the Beta worked really well live as a dirty boost. Loads of other pedals that sounded fine at bedroom levels seemed to drop lows at high volume except the Beta and Blower Box!

Totally agree. The beta has a slight baked in bass boost, but it's only enough to balance out the extra presence in mids and highs that you naturally get from distorted frequencies. So it sounds neutral at gig levels.

Edited by AJ567

Mosky XP Boost , which is a dirt cheap but non the less pretty amazing an Xotic EP Boost V1 clone, will fatten up the low end and bring some nice harmonically rich saturation to the table.

It saturates the signal, but while never introducing any actual distortion. 

To me it sounds best with the internal +3dB Treble dip switch engaged and powered by 18V.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash