Why become a member? ×

Want to take some flatwounds off for a while to try something else. Should I boil them before I store them?

dumelow

Ive got some ernie ball cobalt flat wounds on my bass at the minute that cost a decent whack and I love them.  My first experience using flat wounds in 20+ years of playing they've been on for about a year and sound fantastic.  But I want to try some other strings for a while to see if it suits the band I've joined so I'm going to remove the flat wounds and just keep them til I get a second bass or want to use them again.  Should I boil them before I store them or is that not a good idea for flat wounds???  They are visibly dirty but ive always read that you treat flat wounds differently?  

Personally I wouldn’t do anything like that, I’ve been using flats for many years and I like mine worn in ,so if i sell one of my basses I take the flats off and just wipe them down and put them back in the packet for the next bass 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 2

I don't wipe my strings off if they're having a holiday off a bass, but if I did, I'd use the same thing I clean them with when they're on a bass — mineral oil*

Wipe on, wipe off.

* I actually use Dunlop ultraglide 65 string cleaner & conditioner which is mineral oil + lemon scent aka lemon oil