Why become a member? ×

Bright Onion

Pamparius

Just found 46 for sale threads.

I tried two different loopers before, both programmable with buffers and both degraded my clean and effected tones.

So now I’m looking at true bypass loopers.

All I want is to have a few switches in the front row of my board to control the pedals in the second row with no change in tone or volume level.

So… anyone using bright onion products here, and how ?

Pics of your pedalboards are more than welcome !

Yep, I use an ABY of theirs. Cracking bit of kit. I’m in a bass/drums two piece so do a bass/faux guitar thing so use it to switch between channels and/or have both on.

I’ve also got one of their triple loopers. Not used it yet but may do to switch between dirt pedals as part of the above rig if I decide to add more pedals to the chain.

My pedalboard is at the rehearsal space so no pics just now though…

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pamparius said:

Thanks a lot !

Sounds like a cool setup.

Always used to be a bass-cable-amp guy but got into pedals during the pandemic and now have too many and not talented in dancing.

No problem! Their stuff is rock solid. There are plenty of options out there for splitters and loopers of course, but there’s no need to look any further in my experience.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pamparius said:

Thanks a lot !

Sounds like a cool setup.

Always used to be a bass-cable-amp guy but got into pedals during the pandemic and now have too many and not talented in dancing.

… exactly why I have two shelves full of pedals!! 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the other recommendations

That’s the one I’m thinking about, my guess is that the two rows make it easier to turn on multiple pedals at the same time, like 1-3 and 4-6 but also 4,3,2.

I will make a paper model tonight to see how it fits on my board and if it’s not too high for my likings.

IMG_7740.webp

20220826_134137.thumb.jpg.060a6ea167cea1d927bc4e6b1e3d37e6.jpg

Two bright onion pedals; the orange one to select an input, the yellow is the aby looper which has the octamizer and Fwonkbeta on it. Apart from being rock solid pedals you get to choose the colour of the pedal and the colour of the leds! Plus,I think, great value for money. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pamparius said:

That’s a cool board !

3 filters and a tri-parallel mixer, do you have a YouTube channel where you demo this by any chance ?

Actually I don't have a YouTube channel but it's a good suggestion and I'll knock up a demo next week. 

Apart from selecting pedals and blending the signal, rather than having them daisy chained, the tri mixer also helps control input/output levels to optimise the gain structures. Channel one has the Seamoon which I'm running as just a LPF (great for low end punch), channel two is the supafunk as that doesn't like a hot signal and works better clean, channel three has the octamizer and Fwonkbeta/fuzz (via the aby looper). Input to the tri is via a comp and output goes to the grape phaser/echo/reverb. Once you get your head around it, it's quite logical. PS my fav pedal on the board is the grape phaser which is so funky! 

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 21:51, thisisswanbon said:

I had a hotone patch kommander at one point and didn't notice any degradation 

The result doesn't have to be degradation, but somewhat changed behaviour of certain fx, especially the family of OD/dist/fuzz.

Buffers usually have super low output impedance. A hi-Z output (once more: this is not about signal voltage levels) bass may drive the pedal in a different way, and this results a different sound.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, itu said:

The result doesn't have to be degradation, but somewhat changed behaviour of certain fx, especially the family of OD/dist/fuzz.

Buffers usually have super low output impedance. A hi-Z output (once more: this is not about signal voltage levels) bass may drive the pedal in a different way, and this results a different sound.

From what I remember it had the option of turning the buffer off. All effects worked as usual, just saved a lot of tap dancing 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Actually I don't have a YouTube channel but it's a good suggestion and I'll knock up a demo next week. 

Apart from selecting pedals and blending the signal, rather than having them daisy chained, the tri mixer also helps control input/output levels to optimise the gain structures. Channel one has the Seamoon which I'm running as just a LPF (great for low end punch), channel two is the supafunk as that doesn't like a hot signal and works better clean, channel three has the octamizer and Fwonkbeta/fuzz (via the aby looper). Input to the tri is via a comp and output goes to the grape phaser/echo/reverb. Once you get your head around it, it's quite logical. PS my fav pedal on the board is the grape phaser which is so funky! 

I have a vfe mini mu and an iron ether xerograph on my board and hope once I got the looper situation sorted to maybe fit my nano bassballs on there as well. 

The grape phaser sounds very funky indeed, but I promised myself not to buy a phaser without volume control again, since it’s last in my chain.

26 minutes ago, itu said:

That is the exact reason I ended up here. I have a fancy Morningstar ml10x, but the buffer changes my tone in a way that I just cannot enjoy.

For disclosure, I play a Rick with flats into tube amps, so for someone who prefers rather bright bass tones the buffer may be great.

• Like 1