Why become a member? ×

How long does it take?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='479991' date='May 5 2009, 03:31 PM']I don't disagree, but as long as that's agreed and cool with everyone. It's when the 15 minutes turns into an hour and the guy who has work tomorrow is now blazing mad that it becomes an issue.[/quote]

Sure.

The kind of gigs my band plays we have no choice but to be quick- but since it's just one guitar, bass and drums with no vocal mics at all it only takes maybe 8 minutes or something, including 3 for drums and 3 for playing through a tune. Guitar takes about 5 seconds since he's a one-channel wonder with no effects but a whammy pedal, and I only use 4 sounds - clean, dirty, fuzz and slap (which I use tastefully, I promise! :) ) and they're already dialled in. Sound guys seem to appreciate the simplicity!

I used to be in a cabaret band, playing working mens clubs, functions etc.
The setup / souncheck routine was diabolical.
They would sometimes ask me to turn up at 3.30 on a Saturday afternoon for an evening function.
Screw that.

Bearing in mind the lead guitarist was pretty much allergic to bass and that I was wasting my time
being with them at all as I liked to be able to actually hear my bass, I just let them carry my gear
in, set it up and mic it up and I just got into the mix when I arrived.

Quite often it was the case that we'd normally arrive at 6.45 for 7.30 doors. Not unreasonable.

With my rock band, it's arrive 8pm for 9.30 start and if the punters hear a 5 min soundcheck, so what?

The main thing is that everyone does their bit and gets on with it.
People faffing about and not getting their job done need to be told.

I used to hate it in a previous life when you'd send the venue a tech spec well in advance and then turn up early enough to set up and sound check our gear, then the support's .. only to find the sound bloke wander in an hour later and start complaining that he didn't have enough mics and cables and stands for our huge horn section and we'd have to share and then take ages to plug it all in and actually get to sound check.

Quite often at this one venue the support didn't get a check despite being there 3 hours before doors ... This does not make for a happy gig..

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='479913' date='May 5 2009, 02:05 PM']Actually, the only thing that annoys me more than mucking around setting up is mucking around taking it down. The, "oh we'll just go for a smoke", "we'll just go and talk to our mates" etc. effect. No you won't. Take it down, put it in the van, I'll go home and you can do whatever you like :)[/quote]

I'm so glad it's not just me then. I'm in a band of technophobes. The two girl singers are very willing (to help set up and break down I hasten to add) but they seem to insist on running cables at kneck height.

I'd rather do the whole setup myself if there's time - it's less painful.

Four hours to set up! That`s taking the p**s.
I`m in a 4 piece and I like to allow 1 hour to set up. This equates to:30 mins to set up and the rest of the time to stand with the guitarist and singer asking ourselves when will the bloomin drummer turn up.

As for a sound check? That`s usually the first song (usually a snow patrol number that the singer likes to start with) and getting someone who comes with us to tell me what needs to go up or down. Strangley they always tell me to turn the bass down. Bloomin phillistines.

Jez

Well, Red Jackson gigs: 30 mins average, if we're pushed, much less - could be ready in 15 probably, but like to allow an hour to set up in a relaxed manner, with most of the time spent on off-topic banter (we get on very well). But with a Red Jackson busking sesh, it'll get spread over 2 hours or more as we slowly put bits together, chat, score coffee, wander off and inspect the charity shops for videos/cds/vinyl/books/retro clothes, waiting for the street to get busy enough to start. It all adds to the impression that [i]something[/i] is going to happen! :)

Thanks guys. You've confirmed what I was thinking. OK i exaggerated a bit we're 2 hours min, ideally need 3 not 4.
The problem is that no matter how many times we say we need to speed up, the guys love to discuss gear and gates rather thangetting on with getting it done.
I'm quitting.

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' post='481050' date='May 6 2009, 02:54 PM']The kind of gigs my band plays we have no choice but to be quick- but since it's just one guitar, bass and drums with no vocal mics at all it only takes maybe 8 minutes or something, including 3 for drums and 3 for playing through a tune. Guitar takes about 5 seconds since he's a one-channel wonder with no effects but a whammy pedal, and I only use 4 sounds - clean, dirty, fuzz and slap (which I use tastefully, I promise! :) ) and they're already dialled in. Sound guys seem to appreciate the simplicity![/quote]

I just checked out your myspace and really enjoyed it. Nice one!

We are a 4 piece (Singer, bass, guitard and drummer) and we are around the 40 minute mark. We leave the practice area with all the gear about 7:45 for a gig anywhere in Fife at 9:00 and we still have time to fanny around waiting on the drummer and have a ciggie before we start.

[quote name='bear-foot-bass' post='483345' date='May 8 2009, 10:06 PM']Thanks guys. You've confirmed what I was thinking. OK i exaggerated a bit we're 2 hours min, ideally need 3 not 4.
The problem is that no matter how many times we say we need to speed up, the guys love to discuss gear and gates rather thangetting on with getting it done.
I'm quitting.[/quote]

Good call.

For reference, I used to run sound for a little clubnight in Preston. The rig was hire-out, which meant we had to load it in every night. Big desk, huge cabs, massive bass bins, rack cases, all that. Because of limited space, the three bands we'd have on each night would share the drums and the bass rig and ideally guitar cabs so changeover was just a matter of swapping guitar heads and arranging mic stands and so on.

But all in all, I could usually load in the PA, hook it all up and soundcheck all three bands in under 2 hours. Even if you're a big band, 2 hours is taking the piss. I've seen a seven-piece band with two guitars, drums, bass, two keyboards, a sampler and four vocals set up and souncheck in under half an hour.