Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ampeg SVT7 Pro

dmccombe7

As many of you might be aware I've been holding off for a new Mesa TT800 for the past few yrs now but couldn't resist this Ampeg SVT7 Pro on sale here by our very own @Berserker at a really good price.

Having owned an SVT4 Pro few yrs back and loved the tone but it was an older one that had too many issues for me to rely on I thought i would give Ampeg another try.

Have to say i've been using it at home now for a couple of weeks and WOW it certainly does impress. It has that typical Ampeg SVT Pro tone, deep, clear and simple to use. I can set up my normal tone with the basic EQ and when i need that deep lower tone i hit the LO button and when i need a more Ric style tone i hit both LO and HI buttons and the great thing is the overall volume doesn't change very much at all. This would save me having to use my Roland mfx unit. (i just need to get an envelope filter for Virginia Plain) 

Built in compressor seems to do a decent job too. Doesn't kill the low end.

Amp master volume is still very low at home probably 8-9 o'clock with an 8 ohm cab. My other amps i would have a bit louder than this with same cab when using at home. I have no direct neighbours to worry about and have triple glazing :biggrin:

Have a gig with my  Glam covers band tomorrow afternoon with just a vocal PA and using backline in a club that holds circa 150. Will see how it fairs tomorrow.

If all is good i think my amp GAS might be well and truly sorted and i'll leave the Mesa.

Dave 

• Like 8

I'll be able to get a better idea at soundcheck tomorrow but it does sound really nice at home thru my Mesa PH212. 

I have the amp set with bass at 2 o'clock mid 2 o'clock and freq 3 selected, treble at 12 o'clock. HI & LO are mostly off and selected as and when needed.

I've used the compression a touch but will see how it fairs at gig volumes tomorrow.

I definitely like the simplicity of it, much the same as my Handbox. My Mesa Mpulse i only use the basic EQ and on occasion when the venue requires i'll bring in the para EQ.

Which Ampeg and cab(s) are you using @Reggaebass. ?

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

NAD surely?

Ooops 100% i'll correct that. Got caught up in the excitement............... even at my age :hi:

Nope i can't access the title to change it. Maybe one of the Mods can change it to NAD.   

@ped if you have time. Sorry for my dafty mistook

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

• ped changed the title to NAD - Ampeg SVT7 Pro
4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ooops 100% i'll correct that. Got caught up in the excitement............... even at my age :hi:

Nope i can't access the title to change it. Maybe one of the Mods can change it to NAD.   

@ped if you have time. Sorry for my dafty mistook

Dave

Could be "new bassamp day" 😁

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

V-4B and barefaced big baby 2 

I did look at them before buying my Handbox WB-100 but it would overhang my Mesa cabs and that drove me crazy with the Mesa in its flightcase.

If i was younger or had roadies to lift my gear i've always fancied an SVT but at 40+ Kg its way too much.

Dave

• Like 1

Have Ampeg addressed the SVT-7's reliability issues? I used to have one and loved how it sounded, but it crapped out on me during the first song at a gig and I haven't really trusted them since. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Have Ampeg addressed the SVT-7's reliability issues? I used to have one and loved how it sounded, but it crapped out on me during the first song at a gig and I haven't really trusted them since. 

The early models had some issues but it was narrowed down to a microchip not being up to the job and i believe they were upgraded.

The newer revised models came with the upgrades. The early ones being around 2011-2013 i think. This one is a 2019 model. Not heard any bad reports of the more recent amps.

Dave

Just a wee update after using the SVT7 Pro at our Glam Rock covers gig on Sun afternoon.

The amp worked perfectly all day. The tone was a bit boomy on stage even using the gramma pad but that was same last time i played here with the Handbox. On hearing the vids the bass sounded like an Ampeg with that warm depth but nice and clear. 

Have to say i was very pleased with it. 

I had the amp set as follows. Gain 12 o'clock, Comp at 10 o'clock, Bass at 2, Mid at 1 on setting 3, treble 12 and master at 10-11 o'clock. 

Amp still had a fair bit of headroom. 

Using my Mesa Subway 210 and 115 cabs.

Sandberg VM4 all EQ flat.  

I found it a lot faster response than my other amps and putting that down to having just one pre-amp valve and being class D. Like all class D amps i've had or tried they are very sensitive to string noise and i had to adapt my technique slightly for that, which wasn't much of an issue to be honest.

Feedback from audience and other band members was extremely positive and they all said the bass sounded clearer but still retaining the depth. Having listened to various mobile vids i have to agree the bass sounded like "tone in my head" as Ampeg say.

All in all a good buy and i think the Mesa TT800 is no longer a definite. 

I'm liking the tone that much i may another one as my back up and get rid of my Markbass and possibly my Handbox or Mesa Mpulse but will give it a few more gigs before any rash decisions. 

Will be good to hear it with my punk covers band and my MarloweDK.

Many thanks to @Berserker for selling it and making the transaction so easy.

Dave

• Like 2