Why become a member? ×

RIP Tony Bennett

toneknob

What an amazing voice. A sterling innings at 96 years young. Here is he from Glastonbury 1998, a ray of sunshine in an otherwise rain-sodden year, immaculately turned out and in fine fine voice (and a blatant repost from the recent Glastonbury '23 thread). I'm going to try to squeeze Old Devil Moon into my next jam night.

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I last saw him at Symphony Hall five years ago. He was in great voice and closed with Sanfrancisco without a mic. He filled the auditorium with his voice.

I met his DB player, Marshall Wood, through the ‘other’ forum and we formed a friendship.  TB toured with just his quartet and almost to the end they went all over the place, including a private gig at Buck House for Prince Charles- as he was then.

• Like 1

Marvellous voice and a terrific entertainer who was liked by all generations. One of the greats. 

R.I.P.

"I have a simple life. I mean, you just give me a drum roll, they announce my name, and I come out and sing. In my job I have a contract that says I'm a singer. So I sing...I'll call it a day when I die. It's a wonderful occupation for me. I've never worked a day in my life."

"If music sounds dated, it means it wasn't very good in the first place."

Tony Bennett

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 3

What can be said. He was of a time and remained kinda current...Huge legacy..and a huge figure in 20th century music entertainment. The last of that post war group of stylish crooners, Sinatra, Davis-Junior. Dean Martin, Perry Como, and othes who laid out so many templates for today.

Nerdy tidbit...He used the same pianist, Ralf, throughout his entire career...

ps. Only seven comments on this a musicians website. Kinda poor huh?

Edited by greavesbass
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, greavesbass said:

What can be said. He was of a time and remained kinda current...Huge legacy..and a huge figure in 20th century music entertainment. The last of that post war group of stylish crooners, Sinatra, Davis-Junior. Dean Martin, Perry Como, and othes who laid out so many templates for today.

ps. Only seven comments on this a musicians website. Kinda poor huh?

Is commenting compulsory? Expressing sorrow isn't mandatory.

Saw him at the Albert Hall about 20 years ago. At the time a big deal was made of him still going at 75. Not so uncommon now!

That gig also included one of the best drum solos I have ever seen, played on just a snare with brushes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greavesbass said:

That was London born, Ralph Sharon, his MD/Pianist. He was on the UK Jazz scene until he moved stateside in his early 30's.

He was still doing loung/hotel gigs until a couple of months before his death. Another one who lived a long fruitful musical career.

I believe he was 91 or 92 when he died.

EDIT: 

My oldest boy noticed this.

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-ralph-sharon-20150412-story.html

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 3