Why become a member? ×

The cheapest way to get good quality cables to make them yourself using Van Damme cable and Neutrik plugs.

Pretty much anything ready made by a largish brand is going to be seriously overpriced. There are some people making custom cables at a decent price (generally using the above components) but all the ones I know are in the UK, so shipping to Denmark will make them too expensive. 

If you don't want the hassle of making your own, you'll need to find a local equivalent of Designacable.

BTW all cables will affect the tone to some degree unless they are only a few feet long, IME when people say a cable isn't affecting the tone what they really mean is it's not affecting the tone in a way they find displeasing.

• Like 5

The cheapest option is to buy good ones in the first place. Keep the length under 10 ft / 3 m. They are easy to coil and keep in good shape for years to come.

Just like @BigRedX said, Neutriks and silicone cable. I still have my first self made cable up and running. Made in the late 80's or early 90's. Do the maths: yearly cost is minimal.

Try Thomann.de.

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The cheapest way to get good quality cables to make them yourself using Van Damme cable and Neutrik plugs.

This. There are a number of alternative good quality cables in addition to VD and you can even use Switchcraft connectors if you're feeling flush. Generally, the words "durable" and budget" don't exist in the same universe. Given that the difference between a high quality cable and a mediocre one is around a fiver, it isn't worth saving when you take the increased lifespan of the decent one into account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

OBBM / Rockwire. 

Thanks for the mention.  I'm still here but happily retired.  Initially I used VanDamme, an excellent cable but found that it easily knotted and twisted.  Then I moved onto Klotz AC110 which was low capacitance but proved to a bit stiff.  In my later years I started using Sommer LLX,  low resistance and low capacitance cable and also very flexible.  All my current gig cables are these.  Needless to say all with Neutrik connectors.  To the OP, get yourself a soldering iron, solder, side cutters, Stanley knife, etc. and have a go, it really is very easy to make your own cables.

• Like 4