Why become a member? ×

Basses and Cars - What's up with that?

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I've not really seen these connections with basses and cars apart from referring to a Fender bass as being like a workhorse or a Ford Mondeo. 

With the exception a Ford Mondeo is a relatively modern car. A simplistic bass like a Fender Precision is a sort of a workhorse of the 50s (although you won’t see hardly any being used in U.K. groups until the late 60s - much more likely an Epiphone Rivoli or an EB2) - so a Ford Popular would be a far more apt comparison - and a vehicle which no one in their right minds would use as an everyday vehicle, maybe something for enthusiasts of classic cars and for classic car shows. 

I think the comparison being made is that electric musical instruments are one of the only products where (some) people are willing to use something designed and actually built in the 1950s/60s for everyday use, arguing they’re better than stuff produced (and designed) more recently - and indeed they’re reveered. Other stuff like vacuum cleaners, kitchen appliances, really anything you can think of, very few, if anyone would use a vintage one - the world’s moved on in 60+ years! 

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

I think the comparison being made is that electric musical instruments are one of the only products where (some) people are willing to use something designed and actually built in the 1950s/60s for everyday use, arguing they’re better than stuff produced (and designed) more recently - and indeed they’re reveered. Other stuff like vacuum cleaners, kitchen appliances, really anything you can think of, very few, if anyone would use a vintage one - the world’s moved on in 60+ years! 

Interesting !!! But there are people who like stuff between vintage and now. What are they - uncountable ones ?

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Why on Earth do I read so many car analogies when reading posts on bass forums?

They are nothing alike and personally I couldn't give a flying shack about cars, and don't know what the shack half of these analogies are even on about.

I totally agree, it should be bass & motorcycles analogies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1