Why become a member? ×

Cheap basses, sound like a P but have more sensible design

Paolo85

Hi all, I was putting my head around an issue lately, which came back back to mind with another thread here and this is I would say a "spin off".

Are there cheap basses that sound exactly like a P, (or they would with a pickup replacement, because they have a split coil exactly in P position), have 19mm string spacing, but have a different design that make them lighter and better balanced (something like the Ibanez soundgears, a Cort B4 etc... maybe with small 2+2 tuners instead of big 4 in line)?

The Yamaha TRBX174 looks like a possible candidate but I know the Yamaha BBs do not have the pickups exactly in P position and I am concerned it may be the same for the TRBX. The Ibanez talman long scale has 2+2 headstock but it's a big headstock so I am not sure it would do.. anybody tried? Maybe an Ibanez GSR 200b (although I don't like that headstock)

Other options?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Westone Thunder or Concord, 2+2 headstock with lightweight tuners, and great pickups.

Interesting! I think I had heard that Westone Thunders are heavy. If that's not the case, I quite fancy the look of them!

6 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Interesting! I think I had heard that Westone Thunders are heavy. If that's not the case, I quite fancy the look of them!

Thunder maybe a little heavy, but Concord are around 7.5-8lbs. Gotoh japan tuners also.

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Thanks 1

Westone's are one of the most underrated bass and guitars. Most have ash or alder bodies, all Gotoh hardware and dimarzio or hardpuncher pickups. Plus they were mostly made at the Matsumoku factory during the golden period of Japanese production during late 70s - early 80s. Good quality, well made basses at low prices if you look around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

The Ibanez Mezzo sounds bang on if the J pickup isn't used.

The stock pickup is fine - just rip out the preamp and go passive.

Sorry for the diversion - I'd like to do this to my Mezzo but have never ventured into electronics before. Have you got any steer on how you did this? I'm thinking VVTT might be handy. Cheers!

1 hour ago, redbandit599 said:

Sorry for the diversion - I'd like to do this to my Mezzo but have never ventured into electronics before. Have you got any steer on how you did this? I'm thinking VVTT might be handy. Cheers!

If you don't fancy soldering - then I suggest asking @KiOgon to make you up a solderless loom with the controls you want (Don't forget the barrel output jack). You'll also need to measure the spaces between the body control holes to make sure the component connecting wires are long enough.

All the connections will have a little screw block. You might have to strip a few of the existing cables once you've disconnected them from the  existing system, but that should be about it. Dead easy job.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If you don't fancy soldering - then I suggest asking @KiOgon to make you up a solderless loom with the controls you want (Don't forget the barrel output jack). You'll also need to measure the spaces between the body control holes to make sure the component connecting wires are long enough.

All the connections will have a little screw block. You might have to strip a few of the existing cables once you've disconnected them from the  existing system, but that should be about it. Dead easy job.

That's great - thanks very much!

5 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Peavey Milestone if you can find one of the P versions.

Aye decent basses.

Lighter than the US Furys and not a blatant Fender copy, unlike the US Furys 😄 Skinny jazz neck for those that like that sort of thing.

7.5 - 8 lbs with little chance of neck dive thanks the longer top horn, strap button lands at 11th fret.

58 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Aye decent basses.

Lighter than the US Furys and not a blatant Fender copy, unlike the US Furys 😄 Skinny jazz neck for those that like that sort of thing.

7.5 - 8 lbs with little chance of neck dive thanks the longer top horn, strap button lands at 11th fret.

And they're about 90 quid s/h

2 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

And they're about 90 quid s/h

Sometimes less than that.

Put mine on FB last Friday at £50, had just one interested party.

Sadly I had to refund the boy's cash last night, spotted a split in the fretboard when doing the pre-shipping clean and set up.

Don't know who took the news worse, him or me  🙁

• Like 1