Why become a member? ×

String gauge question

Peloquin

This may be the silliest question so far but how do I tell what gauge strings I have on my bass? 

They are the strings it came with and I wasn't too get the same next time after struggling getting a lighter gauge on the last bass I had... loads of fret rattling so I had to get it set up. 

Is it simply a case of getting some verniers on the string?

Cheers folks. 

I take it you bought used -- if new the manufacturer probably has standard string gauges posted somewhere. Otherwise I'm told digital calipers are the thing to use. I don't have any so I generally just compare them to some old strings and guess.

• Like 1

I bought new about 18 months ago but don't remember seeing what strings it had on. 

I'll grab some verniers from work tomorrow. 

Just out of interest,  how often would I be expecting to change strings.  I only play at home, few hours a week.  I'm still learning. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Peloquin said:

I bought new about 18 months ago but don't remember seeing what strings it had on. 

I'll grab some verniers from work tomorrow. 

Just out of interest,  how often would I be expecting to change strings.  I only play at home, few hours a week.  I'm still learning. 

Cheers. 

A lot depends on how sweaty your hands are! If you’re not a clammy handed person, you’ll get a lot more

life out of a set of strings. Usual time to replace them is when they lose their tone and become less stable

with tuning. I reckon you’ll get a good year or so on your bass.

(This applies to roundwound strings - if they’re flat wound type they seemingly last forever…..)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

It's one of these... I'll have to wait till I get home to check but it's an ibanez and was around 280 quid new....

20210805_174953.thumb.jpg.880a9007250b00808d824566f3e906b2.jpg

It looks like Ibanez SR series past years model. I can't find the model in website with these pickups.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

It's one of these... I'll have to wait till I get home to check but it's an ibanez and was around 280 quid new....

20210805_174953.thumb.jpg.880a9007250b00808d824566f3e906b2.jpg

Very likely to be D'addario XL Nickels, standard gauge 45-105! 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I think the same.

Yup, I video reviewed loads of Ibbys, but I also just checked on the Ibanez website that states they're still using the same quality strings for their basses as stock. Cort do too. 

• Like 2

Many thanks folks. 

So a set of 45-105 will be fine then. 

I half expected them to be lower end strings with them being the supplied ones but it seems they are decent.  

While I'm on the subject of strings then... what is the difference (playing style) between flat and round? 

The model is........

16873784862626189840091404691293.thumb.jpg.ec6d0c24eec93fc16848e40fc18a3e41.jpg

16 hours ago, Peloquin said:

Many thanks folks. 

So a set of 45-105 will be fine then. 

I half expected them to be lower end strings with them being the supplied ones but it seems they are decent.  

While I'm on the subject of strings then... what is the difference (playing style) between flat and round? 

The model is........

16873784862626189840091404691293.thumb.jpg.ec6d0c24eec93fc16848e40fc18a3e41.jpg

Flats have a warmer tone, hi there tension and feel smoother to the touch. Generally considered easier on the fretboard and likely to last quite a lot longer than rounds. Now, to be clear, there's more than one type of round (steels and nickels being the most common two varieties) and there are hybrid types like ground wounds, but we're getting a little more complex than perhaps you need at this stage of your journey. Just know, the options are myriad and varied.

• Like 1