Why become a member? ×

Can you tell the difference?? More AI

TheGreek

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Caught these guys at the local working men's club though, they were doing a Kraftwerk cover obviously... . 

"We Are The Robots.. (dum de dum dum dum...)" 

IMG_20230521_124423.jpg

Metal version, obvs.

Mark

• Haha 2

At the now close to infinite exponential learning curve of AI, if we, as human beings, don't react and regulate it, or even better stop it definitely, we'll all be history in less than 10 years or maybe way less...

Remember that AI is not able to learn nor understand emotion or mood, so when it will decide to erase mankind, it will be done within seconds, but it looks like nobody noticed it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Caught these guys at the local working men's club though, they were doing a Kraftwerk cover obviously... . 

IMG_20230521_124423.jpg

I think this TRIO would look great and would sound great too, singing Lenons - Imagine !

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

All modern "popular" music sounds like it's written and perfomed by a computer to me anyway... 

A lot of it is processed so much that if there are actual physical instruments involved they're compressed and quantised so much they may as well not be. This is not to say I dislike electronic music, because that's not the case, but if a tune involves humans mechanically creating it then I want to hear imperfections in tone, timing, dymanics, etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

At the now close to infinite exponential learning curve of AI, if we, as human beings, don't react and regulate it, or even better stop it definitely, we'll all be history in less than 10 years or maybe way less...

Remember that AI is not able to learn nor understand emotion or mood, so when it will decide to erase mankind, it will be done within seconds, but it looks like nobody noticed it.

It would need to bear in "mind" tho, that it needs people to service its many needs, power, infrastructure etc etc.. There would be many things however clever it was, that it couldn't do for itself and eliminating all humans would actually be a form of suicide at the end of the day. Just a thought 

Prof Noel Sharkey says systems so infected with biases they cannot be trusted

Henry McDonald

Thu 12 Dec 2019 14.07 GMT

An expert on artificial intelligence has called for all algorithms that make life-changing decisions – in areas from job applications to immigration into the UK – to be halted immediately.

Prof Noel Sharkey, who is also a leading figure in a global campaign against “killer robots”, said algorithms were so “infected with biases” that their decision-making processes could not be fair or trusted.

A moratorium must be imposed on all “life-changing decision-making algorithms” in Britain, he said.

'We are hurtling towards a surveillance state’: the rise of facial recognition technology

Sharkey has suggested testing AI decision-making machines in the same way as new pharmaceutical drugs are vigorously checked before they are allowed on to the market.

In an interview with the Guardian, the Sheffield University robotics/AI pioneer said he was deeply concerned over a series of examples of machine-learning systems being loaded with bias.

On inbuilt bias in algorithms, Sharkey said: “There are so many biases happening now, from job interviews to welfare to determining who should get bail and who should go to jail. It is quite clear that we really have to stop using decision algorithms, and I am someone who has always been very light on regulation and always believed that it stifles innovation.

“But then I realised eventually that some innovations are well worth stifling, or at least holding back a bit. So I have come down on the side of strict regulation of all decision algorithms, which should stop immediately.

“There should be a moratorium on all algorithms that impact on people’s lives. Why? Because they are not working and have been shown to be biased across the board.”

Sharkey said he had spoken to the biggest global social media and computing corporations, such as Google and Microsoft, about the innate bias problem. “They know it’s a problem and they’ve been working, in fairness, to find a solution over the last few years but none so far has been found.

“Until they find that solution, what I would like to see is large-scale pharmaceutical-style testing. Which in reality means that you test these systems on millions of people, or at least hundreds of thousands of people, in order to reach a point that shows no major inbuilt bias. These algorithms have to be subjected to the same rigorous testing as any new drug produced that ultimately will be for human consumption.”

As well as numerous examples of racial bias in machine-led decisions on, for example, who gets bail in the US or on healthcare allocation, Sharkey said his work on autonomous weapons, or “killer robots”, also illuminated how bias infects algorithms.

“There is this fantasy among people in the military that these weapons can select individual targets on their own. These move beyond the drone strikes, which humans aren’t great at already, with operatives moving the drone by remote control and targeting individual faces via screens from bases thousands of miles away,” he said.

“Now the new idea that you could send autonomous weapons out on their own, with no direct human control, and find an individual target via facial recognition is more dangerous. Because what we have found out from a lot of research is that the darker the skin, the harder it is to properly recognise the face.

Rise of the racist robots – how AI is learning all our worst impulses

“In the laboratory you get a 98% recognition rate for white males without beards. It’s not very good with women and it’s even worse with darker-skinned people. In the latter case, the laboratory results have shown it comes to the point where the machine cannot even recognise that you have a face.

“So, this exposes the fantasy of facial recognition being used to directly target enemies like al-Qaida, for instance. They are not middle-class men without beards, of whom there is a 98% recognition rate in the lab. They are darker-skinned people and AI-driven weapons are really rubbish at that kind of recognition under the current technology. The capacity for innocent people being killed by autonomous weapons using a flawed facial recognition algorithm is enormous.”

Sharkey said weapons like these should not be in the planning stage, let alone ever deployed. “In relation to decision-making algorithms generally, these flaws in facial recognition are yet another argument – along with all the other biases – that they too should be shut down, albeit temporarily, until they are tested just like any new drug should be.”

On 11/06/2023 at 22:54, Waddo Soqable said:

IMG_20230521_124423.jpg

That is going to cause some serious buckle-rash. 🤔

On 12/06/2023 at 10:32, asingardenof said:

A lot of it is processed so much that if there are actual physical instruments involved they're compressed and quantised so much they may as well not be. This is not to say I dislike electronic music, because that's not the case, but if a tune involves humans mechanically creating it then I want to hear imperfections in tone, timing, dymanics, etc. 

My God! My band is perfect for you then! 😂

A lot of modern pop music sounds like AI to me due to the overuse and/or reliance on autotune.

Its all very well AI being able to approximate R&B (rapping & bullshỉt) artists like Drake or Areola Grande, but I doubt it will be able to do a convincing song in the style of Led Zeppelin yet.

Maybe AI will be able to 'unautotune' the vocals on the songs it makes, so we could potentially end up in the position where AI generated R&B (rapping & bullshỉt) songs will sound more human than a human in that style.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

That is going to cause some serious buckle-rash. 🤔

Nah, vocoders only.. 

Which reminds me I've got an old keyboard thing that has a crude "vocoder" thingy, must dig it out and have a go, maybe there's hope for me singin' yet

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Nah, vocoders only.. 

Which reminds me I've got an old keyboard thing that has a crude "vocoder" thingy, must dig it out and have a go, maybe there's hope for me singin' yet

It seems like You don't like Your natural voice or You would preffer to comunicate with others like velociraptor?😄

11 minutes ago, nilorius said:

It seems like You don't like Your natural voice or You would preffer to comunicate with others like velociraptor?😄

As I've said elsewhere, I can't sing for toffees..

The nearest living relatives to velocoraptors are birds I believe, I don't really communicate as such, but I do put some seeds and stuff out for them. ... 

• Like 1