Why become a member? ×

Garage Find Bass Amps - Advice Needed

John Lobb

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, I have come across some bass amps found in a garage. Some are in questionable condition but seem okay enough.

Please could you give some advice on what they are, if they are any good, and point me to any resources etc...

List of amps:

Peavey Backstage Plus 35 Watt Amp

Laney Mighty Bass Amp

Laney Pro Linebacker PL100 Bass Amp

Mission Raven Student Bass Amp

Also, how do you go about buying basses on this site? Do you do it all via direct messaging and then paypal?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

9 minutes ago, John Lobb said:

Also, how do you go about buying basses on this site? Do you do it all via direct messaging and then paypal

Welcome John,

just message the seller by clicking on their picture/ profile and there’s an envelope there where you can send a private message 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Lobb said:

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, I have come across some bass amps found in a garage. Some are in questionable condition but seem okay enough.

Please could you give some advice on what they are, if they are any good, and point me to any resources etc...

List of amps:

Laney Mighty Bass Amp

Also, how do you go about buying basses on this site? Do you do it all via direct messaging and then paypal?

Think the only one that may be ‘useful’ would be the Laney PL100.
The Peavey isn’t really designed for bass, more for guitar - worth around £30 ish.

Laney Mighty Bass and the Raven are basic starter combos that are now outdated by better stuff. Nice for

maybe a young player starting out with no amp, or a school perhaps as a gift? Worth very little I’m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Peavey Backstage Plus is a guitar amp. I play with a guitarist who used to have one - from what I remember it sounded pretty good, but that was probably 40 years ago, and my memory ain't what it was... 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John Lobb said:

Hi John, welcome to BassChat.

You've probably seen the classifieds here, you have to pay a subscription if you want to sell but anyone can buy of course. You can check people's reputations on the site but as a marketplace it scores pretty highly for trustworthiness. We are all enthusiasts and want others to be enthusiastic so we look after each other and anyone who abuses that trust soon gets the message. I've yet to have a bad experience, most people are more than helpful.

If you are new to bass it's worth asking for advice and giving your budget or even asking if something is a good buy. You'll get warnings about anything that is poor value and lots of suggestions what to look out for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all of your replies regarding the amps. I will take all of your advice into account. 

Not exactly an amazing 'barn find' etc but I think I'll learn more about them when I clean them up and play around with them for a bit. 

Thank you again!

On 11/06/2023 at 15:36, John Lobb said:

Hi Guys,

List of amps:

Laney Mighty Bass Amp

Might just be a bit of internet Petrol on an internet fire, but there’s been a bit of a buzz around 80’s Peavey guitar amps with the blue knob and saturation control, thanks to QOTSA. There are a few in the range with the same circuit, so might be a good find?

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/josh-homme-secret-weapon