Why become a member? ×

Catalinbread SFT?

fretmeister

I'm looking for a small size pedal that will do that sort of farty mids P bass tone.

Like John Deacon Live Magic sound when the other instruments were resting. It's quite farty on it's own and perfect with the rest playing.

The youtube demos at low gain levels seem pretty good, but if anyone has any real world experience I'd like to hear.

I know I could get a BDDI or similar but I don't have the pedal board space - small is beautiful!

ta

It works well for a farty P. Your shortlist should also include the BJFE Blueberry (or One Control Blackberry which looks like a new variant), Fuzzrocious Dark Driving, Solidgoldfx Beta, and TC Spark or MojoMojo!

As for which of those is best, that's a matter of taste! I've had them all and still have the Beta and the Spark. Spark is better for lower gain with more clarity. Beta is better at higher gain.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 05/06/2023 at 10:47, fretmeister said:

I'm looking for a small size pedal that will do that sort of farty mids P bass tone.

Like John Deacon Live Magic sound when the other instruments were resting. It's quite farty on it's own and perfect with the rest playing.

The youtube demos at low gain levels seem pretty good, but if anyone has any real world experience I'd like to hear.

I know I could get a BDDI or similar but I don't have the pedal board space - small is beautiful!

ta

Dunno if you're still looking for a pedal that will give you a farty mid range but I've recently picked up a clone of the Way Huge Red Llama and it nails that kind of tone, IMO. It's a very unique sounding pedal, it's a low to mid gain drive but with almost fuzz like characteristics albeit without massive amounts of gain. Excellent bass retention too, I didn't notice any significant low end loss at loud in-the-house volume. I've never played the real thing to compare how close it is to the original but from the couple of YouTube clips I've seen I'd say it's definitely in the same vein. 

• Like 1

I took a punt on it through eBay, I've got one of the sellers civil war muff clones and it's a great pedal so thought I'd try something different. It was this one, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186294077685?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-rQ31T5FTxq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=gZq2qOSFQFe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I use an Ampeg Scrambler and a recently acquired EHX Battalion (both standard pedal size). The Scrambler gives a nice bit of low gain breakup (but will do much more) and the Battalion gives a much more aggressive drive. Gigged it for the first time last night and got lots of positive feedback.