Why become a member? ×

NBD- Jet Star EB Fallout

JohnDaBass

Added something different to the herd last week, I bought a lovely Korean made De Armond (Guild) Jet Star short scale bass.

Two piece mahogany body with bound maple neck and rosewood fret board, balances perfectly and a joy to play.

It was fitted with USA De Armond single coil Pups which were lacking in all departments so combining my love for my G&L Fallout and EB3 I fitted an Artec EBC4 Mud Bucker and a G&L MFD L1000 Pup. Sadly the DeArmond single coil Pups were quite long so after routing the cavities for the new Humbuckers I obtained some excellent perfectly fitting bezels to cover up the old cavities from Brian at Earlpilanz. Swapped the tone cap but left the VVT arrangement as it was, maybe a later upgrade??

Anyhow what do you think?

20230602_104143.thumb.jpg.91655b8ce76554e2a538d71dabf8c43c.jpg20230602_104149.thumb.jpg.95456692d6bfb206c0c58c73b2fd399f.jpg20230602_104155.thumb.jpg.caf55cac68fd8ab40ff3d2695d7cdc64.jpg

I`m sure it`s not to everyones taste but I do enjoy basses that are a bit different.

Edited by JohnDaBass
spelling
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

At first glance, it really is a case of WTAF? Then, after repeated viewing, it all seems to make sense and becomes very appealing, not least due to the hardware upgrades that are just right and look like it was designed that way. Kudos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

At first glance, it really is a case of WTAF? Then, after repeated viewing, it all seems to make sense and becomes very appealing, not least due to the hardware upgrades that are just right and look like it was designed that way. Kudos.

Yer, it would have looked more aesthetically pleasing if I had used a DiMarzio Model One, its black cover would have matched the G&L MFD. But having listened to LowEnd lobster  video on his Ephi EB0 Pup comparison the Artec appealed to my tastes. I  installed an Artec in my Ephi reissue Newport bass and made it sound huge. Being a Stingy Ole Sod  the £30 Artec won over the £120 for the DiMarzio with buckets load of Mud. Happy days!!!!!

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 08:48, benebass said:

Hi @JohnDaBass - love what you've done there. Bet it sounds massive now! 😁👍

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I like that a lot!

Nice.

I'm sure glad I left the controls VVT, it seems odd but it's like having two different character basses in ONE bass. A typical Gibson EBO and a G&L Fallout (almost Stingray). Keeping the Pups separate appears to be the most versatile. 

• Like 1