Why become a member? ×

resprays

Geek99

I have a cij 62 ri jazz from 1994 and it "has mojo".
I guess its painted in cellulose. If it gets a competent respray, does it matter value-wise on resale
if the paint used is polyester with poly varnish/laquer?
Its a sunburst

[quote name='Geek99' post='476986' date='May 1 2009, 01:29 PM']I have a cij 62 ri jazz from 1994 and it "has mojo".
I guess its painted in cellulose. If it gets a competent respray, does it matter value-wise on resale
if the paint used is polyester with poly varnish/laquer?
Its a sunburst[/quote]

My opinion - I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense just to sell it on. No way in this world the cost of a pro respray would be anywhere near recouped. If you want to keep it and you want it shiny , an alternative would be to pick up a body on the bay and sell the mojo'd one on.

If you feel that you could do a good job yourself, then you could always give it a go. There's a few re-finishing threads on here.

A pro respray will run into a couple of hundred pounds at least and you might feel that could be put to better use. I remember as well that SIMS used to effectively put a big sticker of a picture onto the instrument, so a flash paint job for a lower price. Had a look at their website and can't see it now, but it could be another idea for you.

thanks - the replacement body is a good solution, but I'd feel bad selling it as a 62 Ri if it had a replacement body.

I guess my question would be better phrased as "would someone notice that a bass was (re)sprayed in polyester rather than cellulose" -here I am assuming that it was done in cellulose to start with.

I dont mind too much as I want to keep it, but I dont like destroying the value of something.

[quote name='Geek99' post='477950' date='May 2 2009, 08:34 PM']"would someone notice that a bass was (re)sprayed in polyester rather than cellulose"[/quote]

I think so. Joe Public might not care either way, but those of us who admire great finishes on a guitar would spot it with little inspection really, especially after a couple of months playing as the cellulose ages in a different (and much better IMO) way.

Danny

A respray would probably decrease the value if you consider the popularity of "vintaged" instruments.
I think you would be better spending money on a good set up and a new set of strings whatever you do with the bass.

I think that there were some 80s MIJ Fenders with nitro paint jobs.

It is still possible to buy but, yes, it is very dangerous to use if you don't have the proper equipment and ventilation. I have some nitro in a spray can that I bought for a bass that I no longer own. Since I was only going to be finishing the one bass with it, I was going to do it outside but for anyone doing it regularly, you have to make yourself a booth with ventilation and all the other safety stuff that goes with it.

Fender originally used nitro as that was what the car companies of the day were using. They got their paint from DuPont, same as the car companies. You can imagine what nitro painted cars would look like after a few years. They changed to poly when car makers changed AFAIK - it was a lot more durable than the nitro.

Most, if not all people who want a guitar finished in nitro do so because they want their guitar to age just like the old ones.