Why become a member? ×

NAD - Markbass Stu Amp 1000w

TRBboy

New Amp Day! (well, Friday was 😅)

I took a bit of a gamble on this amp having not been able to try one first, although I have had a number of markbass amps so kinda feel like I know what I'm getting. As my Little Mark Tube had sold in record time (and before this one arrived), I had my fingers crossed that it was going to be good! 😬👍 Going by the specs and reviews, it seemed like it was going to suit me well.

First impressions: Oh Damn! It's bigger than the usual markbass amp size! 😮😂 I honestly was not expecting that! Fortunately I have a bag that's exactly the right size for it.

It's also stupidly light for a 1000w amp. I don't know if it's an illusion because it's bigger, but it feels lighter that other MB heads I've had (and definitely lighter than my LMII). 

Well, I needn't have worried, this thing sounds absolutely incredible! The usual markbass quality is there, but this amp seems to have a little special sauce somehow! Someone whose opinion I value described these amps as having some extra 'Mojo' above the LM range, and I think that's a good description. 

The seperate solid state and tube gain knobs are a bit of a gimmick in my opinion, certainly where you only have a single tube in there, as its not enough of a difference compared to a full tube preamp to really be that exciting. That said, there is a discernable difference between the two sides, solid state is tighter, faster and more articulate, and the tube gain is softer and rounder. I don't think I'd describe it as warmer as it doesn't seem to add any tonal qualities, it's more the dynamic response that's altered. 

I was unsure how I'd like the graphic eq, as I'm a fan of simple and I like the usual markbass 4-knob eq, plus of course the VLE/VPF, which are handy for quick adjustments. This graphic is great though! Clearly you have a lot more control over your tone, but the frequency bands they've chosen and the way it's been executed means that the tone is always musical even if you cut some fairly extreme shapes! I normal roll with a low mid (and slight low end) bump on little mark amps, but I seem to be able to get more pleasing results on the Stu, and able to find just the sound I want more easily. And man does it sound great! 😍

Oh and by the way, YES IT'S VERY LOUD!!! I nearly had to get a structural engineer in to check the house out 😂👌

PLUS.... The illuminated eq sliders and Jack sockets are super cool! 😎

So, I'm very happy thus far! Two gigs this coming weekend, so we'll see how it fares in real use. 

Massive thanks to the team at Bass Direct for their excellent service as always 😉👍

IMG_20230520_123958.jpg

IMG_20230520_124009.jpg

IMG_20230520_124028.jpg

IMG_20230519_224821.jpg

IMG_20230519_225005.jpg

• Like 7

Great score, congratulations. I saw that at BD for a really good price but I managed to resist. The Markbass proprietary 1000 watt power amps are amazing by all accounts; you won't be lacking any heft for sure. Those graphic EQ frequencies are the same as on the Momark 7 band module which are fine, but on a gig I tend to end up with an almost flat profile. I reckon you'll notice more of a difference between the SS and 12ax7 preamps at volume on a gig.

I really really hope you continue to like it so it doesn't appear on here anytime soon!

• Like 3

The EQ points on my LM3 and AC 121 amps have been the one thing I would have liked more flexibility on, particularly the massive gap between the 800Hz hi mids and 10k Hz treble. This amp has totally nailed that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The EQ points on my LM3 and AC 121 amps have been the one thing I would have liked more flexibility on, particularly the massive gap between the 800Hz hi mids and 10k Hz treble. This amp has totally nailed that!

You'll see on these EQ graphs that there is a fair amount of overlap on the hi mid and hi controls which work on more than just the stated centre frequencies. I doubt I'd hear any difference with my tweeterless cabs if the hi control only worked at 10k Hz.

VLEVPF.thumb.jpg.ede83681f21ab43209938f48187ba43c.jpg

• Like 1

@Sparky Mark - thanks that's v helpful. However are those the EQ graphs at max and min settings for each of the EQ knobs? In which case at a moderate boost or cut you're not going to hear much difference at all at say 3kHz, given that a 3dB boost is just about noticeable. 

On 24/05/2023 at 22:58, la bam said:

Yep!

Interestingly as well, someone pointed out the similarities between stus amp and his old hartke ha amps. Makes perfect sense.

Stu was a big name Hartke endorser many years ago. IIRC the MB is a modern version of the HA3500.

I ran a HA3500 for years. It was a great amp. Probably the last good amp they did. 

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Stu was a big name Hartke endorser many years ago. IIRC the MB is a modern version of the HA3500.

I ran a HA3500 for years. It was a great amp. Probably the last good amp they did. 

I'm not sure all the happy owners of LH500 and LH1000 will totally agree with that statement. Stu was shown in front of HA7000 heads in the adverts back then.

20230529_205933.thumb.jpg.dfcf914441b5ae67913b8653b2f1182e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm not sure all the happy owners of LH500 and LH1000 will totally agree with that statement. Stu was shown in front of HA7000 heads in the adverts back then.

20230529_205933.thumb.jpg.dfcf914441b5ae67913b8653b2f1182e.jpg

The 7000 was really just 2 3500 in a box.

I had a LH500. It wasn’t impressive. Uninspiring.

Good as just a power amp though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The 7000 was really just 2 3500 in a box.

I had a LH500. It wasn’t impressive. Uninspiring.

Good as just a power amp though. 

I had the same feeling about my LH1000; if you can get on with the passive tone stack it's great, unfortunately I couldn't and still have my mid 90s mosfet 3500.