Why become a member? ×

Origin Cali76 advice

Rick05

Hi,

Iv been looking to upgrade my mxr compressor and been recommended to go for the Origin Cali 76 pedal and having heard it I’m definitely sold on just how good it is. 

Before I buy one one thing I wanted to ask is about the power supply, which in the manual says is best with 18V. 

Annoyingly my current voodoo lab power supply (attached) doesn’t have an 18V output, but don’t really want to overhaul the power supply for one pedal. 

I’m happy to just buy a separate standalone plug for it but wanted to ask if anyone knows what would be best to buy?

Thanks

Rick

1AFF6F23-9641-4E76-B9AB-B9B79C2DA26A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, northcountrybob said:

Do you have a spare 12V output? that’d give you some benefit over 9V. 

I do so that could be a good stop gap option. I’d ideally like to get the full 18v out eventually 

As for a supply. An email to origin may be worth a shot. I think any reasonable 18V supply should be fine. 

The filtering inside the pedal is pretty belt and braces iirc. I have had a look at that in the past using an MXR and Boss 9V suppy. But only 18V from an old DC5 Cioks. 

• Thanks 1

Done a bit more reading on this and origin recommend a few power supplies. I think one good solution might be to use a standalone plug for this one pedal (Dunlop ECB-004) and keep using the voodoo lab for all the other pedals.

When I’m ready I can upgrade the power supply or use the 9V input for the cali76 if im in a pinch 

2 hours ago, jimbobothy said:

… if the MXR works well let us know if you want to move it on. I seem to be collecting compressor pedals at the mo (also have a Cali 76 CB 👍🏼)

Thanks, probably will look at moving on the mxr, it’s all in perfect working order and I think I have the box and instructions. DM me if you want.

How do you like the Cali?

What about some daisy chain type leads for the existing power brick? Some low draw pedals could successfully powered this way and it would  free up outputs to y-cable the Cali76? I do this with my DC5 powering 7 or 8 pedals from 5 ‘outlets’. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

Keep in mind the Cali is a bit larger than the MXR. You may want to move your voodoo to the underside of the board. That would free up space for more pedals though, so a dangerous path to go down.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Keep in mind the Cali is a bit larger than the MXR. You may want to move your voodoo to the underside of the board. That would free up space for more pedals though, so a dangerous path to go down.

Thanks, I measured it when I was in the studio last week and it does fit. My wah also doesn’t go everywhere anymore because of the weight so there will be a lot more real estate there

sadly the voodoo power lab doesn’t fit under the board, one reason I might upgrade to a one spot.  

57 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I don't remember there being a huge difference between running a Cali 76 at 9v and 18v, just more headroom at 18v. 

Thanks that’s great to know. I just feel want to get the most out of the pedal  

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 23:12, ordep said:

Just to follow up on this, I contacted Origin about using a voltage doubler and the voodoo lab and they said that would work great.

Thanks so much for this recommendation, think this is the option I’ll go for 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So Iv finally gone for it and bought my Cali compressor. The voltage doubler seems to be doing the job, which is good and I can run it at 18v.

Playing around with the settings at the moment but does anyone have recommended settings? I’m playing mostly heavy rock on a 5 string with standard tuning. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2023 at 22:42, itu said:

Please check these out. Basic stuff about compression including bass settings. In studio, yes, but a good starting point for tweaking:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/compression-made-easy

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/compression-limiting

Thanks that’s great reading.

I’m also looking for advice on this particular Cali 76 pedal too if anyone has any recommended settings 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 18:43, Rick05 said:

I’m also looking for advice on this particular Cali 76 pedal too if anyone has any recommended settings 

Have you tried the example settings from the manual? 

It helped me to find a decent setting. 

Adjusting the In and Out levels within your setup is also important;

I always go for unity gain (i.e. same volume 

if you turn the pedal on and off).

Edited by xroads
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, xroads said:

Have you tried the example settings from the manual? 

It helped me to find a decent setting. 

Adjusting the In and Out levels within your setup is also important;

I always go for unity gain (i.e. same volume 

if you turn the pedal on and off).

Thanks, great advice on the unity gain, I’m always intending to have it on buy agree need to set that up.

iv started with the recommended ones and having a tweak to see what’s the best for heavy rock/metal styles

On 31/07/2023 at 21:37, Rick05 said:

Thanks, great advice on the unity gain, I’m always intending to have it on buy agree need to set that up.

iv started with the recommended ones and having a tweak to see what’s the best for heavy rock/metal styles

If you haven't found already, it might be worth looking up tutorials on the UA 1176 compressor that the Cali76 is mimicking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you're ok with video, this one from IvanBassist really helped explain how to use it:

Essentially everything is directly translatable except the "all buttons in" mode, unless the Cali76 can do it via other means!

Edited by Killerfridge
  • Thanks 1