Why become a member? ×

22 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Well … spent more time on it and into my amp it’s bloody amazing and brings an added dimension to the sound. 

The SGT sound is the best I’ve heard for warm drive while retaining the low end. The choice of SVT or B15 is very good, SVT is a bit more gnarly and the B15 rounded and warm.

A thing I discovered ( doesn’t affect me as this is the only pedal I will use ) that if you go into a TC Polytune tuner and link to the pwr input of the SGT you can hear a very quiet “ digital whine” Connected direct its silent 

I also at the start was confusing the SGT drive knob and the SGT level knob !! It sounded good but the correct use it was amazing.

I ran my amp flat and used the SGT for EQ which nearly flat sounds good.

The mid position Ultra Low and Ultra High on were used and sounded perfect. 

Highly recommended 

I was confusing the SGT level dial too as it’s a bit counterintuitive from the level dial on the left! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2023 at 21:59, BassAdder60 said:

Well … spent more time on it and into my amp it’s bloody amazing and brings an added dimension to the sound. 

The SGT sound is the best I’ve heard for warm drive while retaining the low end. The choice of SVT or B15 is very good, SVT is a bit more gnarly and the B15 rounded and warm.

A thing I discovered ( doesn’t affect me as this is the only pedal I will use ) that if you go into a TC Polytune tuner and link to the pwr input of the SGT you can hear a very quiet “ digital whine” Connected direct its silent 

I also at the start was confusing the SGT drive knob and the SGT level knob !! It sounded good but the correct use it was amazing.

I ran my amp flat and used the SGT for EQ which nearly flat sounds good.

The mid position Ultra Low and Ultra High on were used and sounded perfect. 

Highly recommended 

I normally go into amp and cab rather than DI into PA so interested to know how best to use this to get Ampeg sound and a bit of drive. I’ve got a GK Fusion so could go into front or effects return or if also got an Ashdown Ant so could use that as it’s really just a power amp. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

I normally go into amp and cab rather than DI into PA so interested to know how best to use this to get Ampeg sound and a bit of drive. I’ve got a GK Fusion so could go into front or effects return or if also got an Ashdown Ant so could use that as it’s really just a power amp. Any suggestions? Thanks

I would run it into the amp input and set the amp EQ flat and use the SGT for EQ / Drive and when needed take DI from either amp or pedal. 
I’ve tried using an amps Return and never feel I get the same as using the amp input which to me gives far more EQ tweeks etc 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I would run it into the amp input and set the amp EQ flat and use the SGT for EQ / Drive and when needed take DI from either amp or pedal. 
I’ve tried using an amps Return and never feel I get the same as using the amp input which to me gives far more EQ tweeks etc 

4 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve ordered and ifs due to arrive early next week so I’ll try that. Cheers

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve ordered and ifs due to arrive early next week so I’ll try that. Cheers

It’s very versatile.. some state the compressor isn’t great but I found it acceptable. 

Make sure you turn the right inner or outer control as it’s easy to get them back to front !! 

• Like 3

I’ve just sold mine 😳🙄… great as it was / is I found I didn’t use the Di ( I use my amps ) and I used it more for EQ and warmth / drive.

For the money I felt I could achieve what I was using with my Ampeg Opto Comp, MXR EQ and the amp. 

If I didn’t have the pedals it was a keeper as it’s brilliant but pricey. 

My ToneHammer head or ABM600 can achieve the drive tone when needed but I think it’s a major step up from the SCR-Di 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 3

I just cancelled the order for mine. When I ordered in April, the website said “usually despatched in 24 hours” (and still does). After a week or so I was told end of May, then end of June - today I was told it would be September. I bailed out. I don’t see why anyone should have £360 of my money and expect me to wait nearly six months while they keep it in their bank.

I might try again when the supply situation improves. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I’m loving the pedal. Cali 76 > DCX Bass > SGTDI >Bassrigs64 > Amp and FOH. The ability to get 4 different combinations out of the Ampeg is so useful and then to feed the 64 if needed is huge. We play a variety of Punk Britpop and Mod stuff and it’s all covered. Classic Rock, Blues and anything heavy is also nailed. It maybe not quite as accomplished an SVT clone as the OE Super Vintage but being able to change on the fly is invaluable.

IMG_5761.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maxcat said:

I’m loving the pedal. Cali 76 > DCX Bass > SGTDI >Bassrigs64 > Amp and FOH. The ability to get 4 different combinations out of the Ampeg is so useful and then to feed the 64 if needed is huge. We play a variety of Punk Britpop and Mod stuff and it’s all covered. Classic Rock, Blues and anything heavy is also nailed. It maybe not quite as accomplished an SVT clone as the OE Super Vintage but being able to change on the fly is invaluable.

IMG_5761.jpeg

Great to see your pedalboard, even nicer to see the metal and black design to the whole board 👌😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maxcat said:

Yeah. Complete accident but does look aesthetically wicked 😀 Your review was what tipped me over the edge Greg. Cheers for that 🤣

Looks awesome! Glad to have been of sone help with the review.

I’m loving the pedal. Used it for quite a few different situations now. I usually pick a sound I like and stick to it but this pedal has a few great options that I’m finding I’m using. 

• Like 2

On 14/08/2023 at 10:51, Maxcat said:

IMG_5761.jpeg

The top alignment of the origin pedals and the bottom alignment of the sgt is only slightly upsetting :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/08/2023 at 13:33, greghagger said:

Great to see your pedalboard, even nicer to see the metal and black design to the whole board 👌😀

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

The top alignment of the origin pedals and the bottom alignment of the sgt is only slightly upsetting :D

NOOOOOO DONT SAAAY IT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Totally understand this pedal is designed for us bass players, but, has anyone loaded a guitar cab in to the ir loader and played a guitar through it? Did the Stones use Ampeg amps early days? 

I’ll see if I can persuade one of my guitarist mates to try this! 

• Like 2

Had first play with new arrival last night. Just a bit if practice through headphones. First rehearsal in coming week. 

Love the sound of this thing and seems very versatile once I work out all the bells and whistles. 

Two things I have questions about though…

1) seems really sensitive to hum.  Couldn’t use it in a chain (even using different power supplies) with my Seymour Duncan compressor and snark tuner. Even when it was disconnected from the chain and using totally different power supplies, when I touched metal on either the Ampeg or the other pedals the hum disappeared. Ground lift just gave me a different frequency of hum. Is it just the case that my house has noisy electric supply?! I’ll need to use this to record at home, and in rehearsal with a chain, so will report back when I’ve had the chance in those situations. 

2) The ir selection really does make this sound a pleasure to play through, though a balance of volume across the selection would be nice. When you choose between the different cab sims the volume changes.  Also, the dial has a bit of “no volume” when turning them all of a sudden gives a big jump in volume. Maybe something I can adjust when I get it plugged in to the software?! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Had first play with new arrival last night. Just a bit if practice through headphones. First rehearsal in coming week. 

Love the sound of this thing and seems very versatile once I work out all the bells and whistles. 

Two things I have questions about though…

1) seems really sensitive to hum.  Couldn’t use it in a chain (even using different power supplies) with my Seymour Duncan compressor and snark tuner. Even when it was disconnected from the chain and using totally different power supplies, when I touched metal on either the Ampeg or the other pedals the hum disappeared. Ground lift just gave me a different frequency of hum. Is it just the case that my house has noisy electric supply?! I’ll need to use this to record at home, and in rehearsal with a chain, so will report back when I’ve had the chance in those situations. 

2) The ir selection really does make this sound a pleasure to play through, though a balance of volume across the selection would be nice. When you choose between the different cab sims the volume changes.  Also, the dial has a bit of “no volume” when turning them all of a sudden gives a big jump in volume. Maybe something I can adjust when I get it plugged in to the software?! 

Glad you like it! In regards to the hum, I haven’t had any issue with that at home or in a few venues where I’ve used it. I’ve only got a few pedals in my chain though so maybe that’s an issue for you? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Glad you like it! In regards to the hum, I haven’t had any issue with that at home or in a few venues where I’ve used it. I’ve only got a few pedals in my chain though so maybe that’s an issue for you? 

Only a tuner and compressor. Even with the Ampeg on its own power supply and the others on their own OneSpot daisy chain it was an issue. Will try an isolated power supply to see if that cures it. I see the Ampeg provided power supply has one of those hum reducing lumps on the cable, so they must know it is sensistive. 

• Like 1