Why become a member? ×

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Rayman

So this has been my latest project…. details are in the “build diaries” thread.

I can’t tell you how much I love this thing. I’ve spent too much on it, but it was fun, and a decent but modest Thunderbird has been transformed into an absolute beast. Thunderous, piano like tone….. it’s absolutely my current favourite, I can’t put it down. Again, details on the build diary thread.

So is it worth spending the time and money on it? Absolutely yes, because I love it and plan to keep it. If I do sell it, I’ll loose money, so if it was something I was going to flip, I wouldn’t have spent so much.

It’s a really awesome Thunderbird. My mate already has a Gibson and an Epi Pro….. he wants this one too.

Very happy with it.

CDD52FE4-E2C4-4E91-A91E-984A8E635E3B.jpeg

1D1765B8-9FE7-49DD-9316-669E0BDF414D.jpeg

6CEAFA0F-A1ED-4A50-A331-C3DA754CBE7E.jpeg

4E49B4DC-69C3-4984-9A58-C5320CF5B8B3.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Dive, dive, dive? Are you referring to the tendency of T’birds to be unbalanced or have you chosen the wrong Gerry Anderson series?

All that silliness aside - nice!

Lol…. Yep, it dives like Ronaldo if you let go….. keeps you on your toes!

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Lol…. Yep, it dives like Ronaldo if you let go….. keeps you on your toes!

Still looks cooler than a cucumber in Raybans though. Always fancied a white one like Martin Turner’s. Bring out a medium or short scale ‘bird and I’m all over it.

• Like 1

Ahhhh Martin Turner…… I saw Wishbone Ash at Lancaster Uni in the 80s I think. Martin had just left, replaced by Trevor Boulder from the Spiders From Mars. 

but yeah….. a white bird with chrome pups….. nice 

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 1

I glad you bought this! I was sooooo close to grabbing it myself then decided against it last minute. Clearly gone to the better home! Great work on taking a decent bass and giving it the shot of steroids it needed to be a superb beast! Looks awesome. 👍 

• Thanks 1

Oh my - listen to Turner under headphones. What an awesome tone.

This live gig is with Ted Turner back in the band ( in fact it's the original mob ) after about a 14 or 15 year departure. He came back on the Nuveau Calls album which is a beauty.

Yes of course i got the CD  :) - had it for 30 years. Top music

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Oh my - listen to Turner under headphones. What an awesome tone.

This live gig is with Ted Turner back in the band ( in fact it's the original mob ) after about a 14 or 15 year departure. He came back on the Nuveau Calls album which is a beauty.

Yes of course i got the CD  :) - had it for 30 years. Top music

It’s a shame that Ted didn’t have that same confidence in the early days. I think he had the best voice of all of them and was the ideal candidate for a front man. Things might have been very different.

• Like 1

On the upside, I saw Ashbone-U-Wish many times and they were always great. Full disclosure, the members of AUW were/are good mates of mine, but that didn’t influence my opinion. The bass player, an occasional BCer, actually  depped for Bob Skeat on one of the WA tours; he is a man of many T’birds.

• Like 1

It’s funny (or sad whichever way you look at it), when bands fragment, and original band members end up in a kind of tribute band playing their original stuff.

I haven’t seen WA since ‘81. There are now two versions? Martin Turners…. and Andy Powells? I assume they are the only original two in both bands…. 

I watched MTs version on YouTube, playing live….. not many people in the audience? Kind of sad. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It’s a shame that Ted didn’t have that same confidence in the early days. I think he had the best voice of all of them and was the ideal candidate for a front man. Things might have been very different.

Quite agree, though Martin and Andy were very close to Ted in the vocal dept.  I loved Ted's guitar work too

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ezbass said:

On the upside, I saw Ashbone-U-Wish many times and they were always great. Full disclosure, the members of AUW were/are good mates of mine, but that didn’t influence my opinion. The bass player, an occasional BCer, actually  depped for Bob Skeat on one of the WA tours; he is a man of many T’birds.

Listen under phones to Skeat on Andy Powells WA. Another man with awesome tone.  Looks like a  Ray.

The recording of all of them is crystal clear - fabulous stuff.  Powell is still a talent to be reckoned with

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve always adored the look of a T-Bird but I can’t get on with them despite having repeatedly tried. 

It’s a combination of the awkward balance and the playing position which puts the nut and headstock somewhere in the next county. 

I wish I could handle one but I can’t. That won’t stop me lusting after them tho. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I’ve always adored the look of a T-Bird but I can’t get on with them despite having repeatedly tried. 

It’s a combination of the awkward balance and the playing position which puts the nut and headstock somewhere in the next county. 

I wish I could handle one but I can’t. That won’t stop me lusting after them tho. 

Likewise. I think the T'bird and Firebird are the sexiest looking things, but the ergonomics just don't work for me, sadly. Doesn't stop me wanting either of them.

• Like 1

It’s certainly a stretch to the nut, unless you strap it quite low…. I’m usually just below waist height, which brings the neck up a bit…..

but there’s always the dive, which I’ve never been able to solve…. Just part of the experience I guess.

Tonally, I love the sound so much.