Why become a member? ×

EBS Rig Not Upto Volume

ZenBasses

Hiya 

So I recently had my Father 1 head serviced as I me mentioned the output is really low and the XLR connector is broken 

It was returned to me saying there was nothing wrong with it ..and the XLR socket is still broken the top clip that holds the cable in broke off a while ago back. They didn't spot that 

I've bought a brand new speakon cable and it still has limited volume.. The EQ and compressor still do theor  job but where's the Volume ?..it's hard to film as it does seem to get louder ...with a passive bass at 12 o'clock it should be chucking out a hell ofa noise ..at full max gain  , max Volume n the dials  should break to the windows ..it barely clips at 12 oclock 

Is this a fault valve ??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qq6zFRiAWJLDLiq6

I know the videos displays a difference but at four  inches from the cones at fully max volume max gain it used to wake the other streets neighbours up yet it barely phased a smartphone mic 

I've fitted a new speakon cable today and with my active basses it makes no difference

Apologies for the rubbish video 

Edited by ZenBasses

Yep, there's something wrong there!  

Test your basses, cab and ALL cables with another amp to eliminate that variable.  I'd also try and bypass the pre and try another preamp into the return AND try the preamp out into another power section.  Then you can start to narrow it down.  I'd also ask the guy who serviced it too either refund you or show you the amp working correctly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Yep, there's something wrong there!  

Test your basses, cab and ALL cables with another amp to eliminate that variable.  I'd also try and bypass the pre and try another preamp into the return AND try the preamp out into another power section.  Then you can start to narrow it down.  I'd also ask the guy who serviced it too either refund you or show you the amp working correctly.

My active basses are louder for sure, I've not played the rig for a while as I have a small EBS combo but when I booted her up after 6 months I knew something was a miss , hence why I took the head to fully serviced ..( I can supply the company's name but I don't like naming and shaming plus it might yet be unrelated to the head )

Used known working leads and also ordered a new speakon cable as I didn't have a spare to rule that out...tried all speakon connectors on the head and cab, doesn't make no difference..the high frequency dial on the back of the cab does it job .. 

My gut feeling is the Character dial ...one of the main reasons it went to be service is it would make no difference until it got to 1pm so assumed ,along with low output all the pot tracks needed a damn good valet , that appears to be okay now but still a low output 

But I have literally no idea about electrics , how they are wired and of there's a dependency/chain on certain settings 

I am near Leeds if anyone knows a reliable tech let me know...

Cheers Ben 

Edited by ZenBasses

Yep, definitely something wrong there. I have the same amp and it is loud as hell. Normally my passive Fender Precisions causes the Gain LED to start clipping just after 12 o'clock position. 

As Warwickhunt says above try other basses, cabs and cables to try and eliminate variables. 

From my understanding of the amp, I don't think that it will be a dodgey valve that will be causing all of the issues. The amp is designed in such a way that if the valve fails, then the amp should still operate but you will lose the drive function. Try turning the drive control to zero. 

Definitely needs a tech to have a look at it. However, it might be worth trying a new valve. The process of changing the valve is very easy. Simply buy a new 12AX7 valve, remove the top of the amp and remove the existing valve and place the new one in its place. If that doesn't solve the problem then you will at least have removed one of the variables. 

6 minutes ago, ZenBasses said:

My active basses are louder for sure, I've not played the rig for a while as I have a small EBS combo but when I booted her up after 6 months I knew something was a miss , hence why I took the head to fully serviced ..( I can supply the company's name but I don't like naming and shaming plus it might yet be unrelated to the head )

Used known working leads and also ordered a new speakon cable as I didn't have a spare to rule that out...tried all speakon connectors on the head and cab, doesn't make no difference..the high frequency dial on the back of the cab does it job .. 

My gut feeling is the Character dial ...one of the main reasons it went to be service is it would make no difference until it got to 1pm so assumed ,along with low output all the pot tracks needed a damn good valet 

Cheers Ben 

I have the EBS350 and the 'character' isn't a massive flavour when used just a little, that wouldn't concern me.  IMHO unless you use all of the other permutations to ensure it is defo the head and not another part of the signal chain, you could end up chasing something that can't be guaranteed.

Thanks for the reply

My past experience is that the character switch / drive  dial makes a subtle but notable difference...I should have filmed the original problem but I'll explain more

Before it went in for a service when I plugged it in I got no output at but when I pressed the character switch a few times and jiggled the drive dial it would would suddenly burst into life .....

That's appears to be solved now but the output is not what it should be compared to what I am used to ....

I'll have to sit tommorow and try all the send and receive configs 

Pre amp / no pre amp makes no difference to the output bit the EQ defo works

As the 4x10 cab is alive, I hope I am safe to assume that's not the issue 

Cheers 

Ben 

Edited by ZenBasses
Updated info as I made a few rubbish mistakes

10 hours ago, ZenBasses said:

As the 4x10 cab is alive, I hope I am safe to assume that's not the issue 

It's n oldie but a goldie... to 'assume' makes an 'a55 of U and me'.  

Joking aside, it is a 1 in 100 chance that it is the cab but ALWAYS eliminate the easiest/obvious first especially as it will cost you nothing but a little bit of time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

My standard tip in such cases is if the amp has and effects loop connect Send and Return with a signal cable. Same goes if the amp has a Pre-amp Out and a power amp in sockets.

Same because they are the same thing. Only the naming is different! As you know but many would not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...