Why become a member? ×

Decent Soapbar Pickups that Won’t Break the Bank?

What sort of "soap-bar". On the bass other than it's a rectangular shaped lump of plastic (occasionally wood) that is wider than a standard J-type pick up, the term is meaningless. So long as there is room the pickup manufacturer can fit any coil configuration that they want in there, and unless it is specifically stated in the specification you won't even know what it is. Probably the most important consideration is the size of the pickups they are replacing because that might narrow down the options.

On 08/05/2023 at 14:23, fleabag said:

You probably know, but son Aaaron is still here near Ashford in Kent making pickups.

Yes, the Custom ones are too expensive, at least for this bass, but the stock claymores (ironically not in stock at the moment) look great and work out about £140 per pair I was hoping for closer to £100, but that's life. The Custom ones would be about £300.

Out of interest, I paid, £260ish new for the bass and then added Hipshot machine heads, bought on here for £60. So by the time I add the new pups, the bass will have cost  £460. However, the neck is superb, and the only other addition might be better side dots.

If it's any use, i have a pair of Claymores in a fretless.  They're pretty fabulous IMO.

Just a passive bitsa  for home use, TBH, but the tone is top notch

Bitsa 4.jpg

Edited by fleabag

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Maude said:

I realise your probably sorted now, but in case anyone else is looking Warman do a 'Jazzbar' pickup for very little money. 

I've not tried these but every other Warman pickup I've tried has been great, and not just for the price. 

These are attractive, but the mounting is wrong. The soap bars I need have the mounting screws inside the envelope of the pickup. However, they look great as a rear pickup in a P/J.

Edited by Chienmortbb