Why become a member? ×

Amp solution for vocals

LiturghianPope

Hi again everyone!

So I previously asked on the forum about bass and guitar for our band, and now, the time has come - I need some suggestions for vocals.

Without getting into too much historic detail, we ended up in our rehearsal room with two Pyrit 15A's. Yeah, probably not the best way to go about vocals, but again, it's an inheritance from an older rig we used.

We're a metal band with two vocalists, so we don't exactly sound like a choir of angels and mermaids. Ofc, sound clarity is our goal, but within reasonable limits, we're not planning on spending a fortune on this. Since we're not taking these speakers to gigs (d'oh), so they never see the light of day (or, more appropriately, the stage lights)we don't really see the point of getting anything high-end just for our ears. However, if we can sell the two abovementioned active speakers, which are probably around 550 - 600 euro? used we can chip in some more and try to get something more suitable.

We play loud, meaning both these speakers are usually at about 80-90% volume (running through a behringer QX1204 mixer or something like that) but overall they don't throw a big punch, it's not like the vocals easily top the guitar. We can hear the vocals pretty good, but I am aware that these speakers are just not optimal for that. Right?

What do you guys use and recommend for vocals? Amplifier + passive speakers? Some other kind of active? Three-way? Monitors? Have you ever tried something that just doesn't work and we should avoid?

Thank you in advance, looking forward to any suggestions!

8 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I suggest you wait for either @EBS_freakor @Phil Starras having excellent knowledge in this field. What is your budget?

Money is not a problem.

Just kidding. Can't put my finger on it, I think 1000 euro tops. I mean, sure, if at 1100 we get something significantly better, that won't stop us. But I don't want us to go down the rabbit hole, that happens too often :)) 

21 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

If it's just for practice and you have something that already works, I wouldn't bother tbh. I'm sure you can find something more interesting to blow 1000 Euros on :)

Fair enough. 

I misspoke, now that I'm reading what I wrote. Ideally, I'd just like to sell these, and get something more appropriate or better for this particular use for the money. If we have to top it a bit, in case there's a highly significant improvement, we can do that too. But yeah, certainly not going to bust the bank just to get a slightly better sound at rehearsals. Maybe ignore that 1000 euro mark, I may have rushed saying that. It's more of an exchange plan, with the possibility of a little extra. The speakers are currently valued at about 800 euro new.

It's not that these active speakers don't work, it's those huge 15'' speakers that are...you know... improperly used. And most of the voice is just coming out of the horns. I was thinking maybe something with 6'' / 8'' speakers, even if at a lower power, might deliver better for vocals. I really don't know. 

Edited by LiturghianPope

Is this for a dedicated rehearsal room that is permanently set up?

If so then the solution that i used many years ago in that situation was floor wedge monitors (10" or 12"), they don't need to be super fancy ones just something from a reputable brand that is in good condition, I'm guessing it is just the vocals that are running through them so it shouldn't be difficult to get a decent sound. 

I'd guess that after selling the current speakers and buying some powered monitors (or passive and a power amp or 2) you will have some money left over for other kit.

Matt

EDIT - as many bands are swapping over to In-ear monitoring I'd expect the secondhand market to be fairly full of wedge monitors

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 1

You should be able to do something really good within your budget depending upon your choices. A pair of RCF ART712’s new are around £950 so used would be well within your budget. These would cope with most gig situations and be better than the gear a lot of busy bands are using. Other brands are available. 

There are some decisions only you can make. Active speakers or passive with separate amps? Active is where we are all going but that means people are selling off their old ones and they can be real bargains out there. The cost to you is more complex set up and a bit of research to match amps to speakers. If this is really only going to be for rehearsal then it only needs setting up once so not really very inconvenient.

Buying used means you get better gear for your money and if you make a mistake you can sell on and get your money back to try again. Your budget and the low price of modern gear would let you buy new and get something really quie competent but with a guarantee. What would you choose here. 

Finally you probably ought to put a bit aside for things like leads, stands microphones and so on. If you are updating the PA you won’t want to let other bits of the PA to let you down. Holding back a few euros could be a sensible choice. 

Finally I’ve forgotten where you are based, is gear including used widely available?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You need a mixer to mix signals from your microphones and possibly your amplifiers and Drums. This feeds into a power amp and into a pair of PA style speaker cabinets possibly on speaker stands to get the sound out to the audience.  You might want individual monitor speakers for the vocalists. Everything depends on what you are wanting from the PA and what funds you can throw at the system.

I have three different PA systems. one is made up of older heavier rack mount units. The second is a twelve channel Mackie mixer pushing a 1000W Class D stereo power amp. It has an In Ear system for monitoring and I have five receivers for band members.

Last but not least is my 'big' PA. A sixteen channel Mackie mixer driving a 1500W Stereo Class D power amp for mains. The system has a four channel 500W per channel Class D power amp for the monitors.

You can buy used PA stuff often very cheaply and assemble it into a system yourself. It's fun to do and teaches you a lot on the way. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1