Why become a member? ×

Limelight Build Quality / QC?

Supernaut

On 25/04/2023 at 18:25, Twincam said:

Personally I would rather have a Bravewood than a Limelight. I've worked on several of both. Actually no ive worked on 1 bravewood and only played another bravewood. But have worked on a couple of limelights.

And I just feel like the bravewoods feel better and have the better relic/patina. 

Not that I'm saying limelights are bad. 

But Bravewoods are a step up. But so is the price. 

To be fair I had issues with a seized bridge on my Bravewood- in possible explanation for both of them their was a shortage of Allparts vintage style bridges in 2020 and when they came back the metal was very soft … which could have been due to covid shortages as much as the actual bridge. Anyway partly my fault for forcing it! 
the gotoh aged unit thst replaced it is brilliant 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2023 at 10:04, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Whatever you do, don't go for a reliced bridge. It was impossible to adjust the b***ard thing on the one I bought and believe me I tried everything.

I ended up having to replace it.

I still have it though sadly rampant spondylosis means it’s a case queen sadly. Bloody nice bass too.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to share on this thread some of my experiences about my Limelight Jazz bass I received in May this year. 

I'd read about the tarnished screws earlier here no longer being an issue, so I ordered with confidence, but it was still a major issue with mine. The setup that the bass arrived with wasn't great, so when I came to sort it out, I found that had to replace the bridge completely because I couldn't adjust anything effectively. Mark did send a replacement, to his credit. Also many of the pickup screws were almost impossible to remove, let alone adjust. After an insane struggle trying to get them out, I replaced them with some new plain black ones. 

This is a long story cut very short, but after a lot of back and forth, and a decent setup from my normal local tech, the bass is playing and sounding wonderful. The paint job and the fretwork and everything is really great. 

I don't want to put anyone off buying a Limelight, because I'm really enjoying mine now, and Mark was a nice chap to deal with, and we did get there in the end. But if you're thinking about ordering one, I'd just suggest asking him to use new screws instead of the tarnished ones. That fact nearly ruined my bass completely! 

Edited by Spoonman