Why become a member? ×

SWR SM-500 stereo amp Price now dropped to £250 from - *SOLD*
£290
Newbury Berks

deepbass5

Now Sold

Up for sale is my SWR SM-500  In great condition, It can be used stereo with effect returns/ dual mono or just one side, I bought this to power my two 4ohm cabs prior to going down the Boogie 2ohm route. Comes in rack sleeve.

SWR SM-500 Tube Preamp/Solid State Power Amp.

The SM-500 Professional Bass Amplifier provides the power, performance, flexibility and portability required by the professional bassist for every style of playing and nearly every playing situation.
To design an amplifier that would cover “all of the basses,” SWR had to use almost every imaginable type of electronic component available. This added up to an all TUBE preamp section, a limiter circuit utilizing Field Effect Transistors (“FETs”), tone and equalizer controls utilizing integrated circuits, and two individual power amps employing discrete, solid state devices.
The power amplifiers in the SM-500 can be used individually to provide full stereo capabilities, each delivering 250 watts into individual 4 ohm speaker enclosures. In the event that more power is required, the amplifiers can be bridged for 400 Watts @ 8 ohms or 550 watts @ 4 ohms. The power amps are cooled by a thermostatically controlled fan and the chassis is vented on its rear and right side.

FRONT PANEL FEATURES:
• Dual independent input jacks compatible for both active and passive instruments
• Gain Control with LED peak clipping indicator
• Variable Limiter Control
• Aural Enhancer Control
• Bass Control ±15dB cut/boost (shelving point: 80Hz)
• Treble Control ±15dB cut/boost (shelving point: 2kHz)
• Transparency Control ±15dB cut/boost (shelving point: 5kHz)
• Variable Graphic Equalizer with ±15dB cut/boost
• Band One: 31Hz to 160Hz
• Band Two: 80Hz to 320Hz
• Band Three: 200Hz to 800Hz
• Band Four: 400Hz to 1.6kHz
• Effects Blend Control
• Dual Concentric (Stereo) Master Volume Control
• Speaker On/Off Switch
• Power On/Off Switch

Collection only please or possible meet up Thames Valley area PM me

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

Edited by deepbass5
Sold
  • Like 7

• deepbass5 changed the title to SWR SM-500 stereo amp Now £270 not
14 hours ago, prowla said:

Is the lower input active-only?

Many manufacturers indicate their inputs like this now, true passive basses like Fender P would go in the top passive input but many modern active passes do not present an overly hot signal so can also go in the (passive/active) input.  just try it and watch and adjust your settings and the clip light will indicate if you need to back off if its too hot then try the Active only input. I have several basses with East preamps and have always used them this type of passive inputs with no trouble. It will depend on where you want to be with your gain settings on the bass and amp.

Cheers Paul.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

Many manufacturers indicate their inputs like this now, true passive basses like Fender P would go in the top passive input but many modern active passes do not present an overly hot signal so can also go in the (passive/active) input.  just try it and watch and adjust your settings and the clip light will indicate if you need to back off if its too hot then try the Active only input. I have several basses with East preamps and have always used them this type of passive inputs with no trouble. It will depend on where you want to be with your gain settings on the bass and amp.

Cheers Paul.

Cheers - I was wanting to know if it will do dual passive, for a Rickenbacker. 

No, not used with hi pass filter, just got it to run my two 4 ohm cabs. I don't know how it will respond to two inputs as one will be attenuated differently so lower in volume but should be OK as the signal is from the same source = i.e. one bass.

it all depends if you can then level this up with the dual volume output knobs without running out of steam on one side. 

Interesting- I’ve seen a recommendation that this is used with a hi-pass filter as it can go down to 10 Hz; the reason I asked is because of the labels on the Fx loop, which is where one can be placed. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 20:50, prowla said:

Interesting- I’ve seen a recommendation that this is used with a hi-pass filter as it can go down to 10 Hz; the reason I asked is because of the labels on the Fx loop, which is where one can be placed. 🙂

I don't think that was specific to SWR. I used a SWR Bass 350 for many years with no issues in that regard. Only (many) years later did i read about it on internet forums as a "thing".

Edited by Gwilym
  • Like 1

The lack of high pass on SWR’s is something to be aware of.  My Redhead will make the speakers jump around at fairly low volume, especially with a lot of low end eq boost.  The Stereo 800 in bridge mode would easily do the same with a Goliath 4x10.  Just don’t overdo the low end, keep the volume sensible.  Great amps.

I really wish I’d remembered this one when I accidentally drove past Newbury yesterday 😳

• deepbass5 changed the title to SWR SM-500 stereo amp Price now dropped to £250 from
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

Offers anyone, I'm in South Wales this weekend if that helps get it closer to you. But I know that won't help you Dave sorry 😄

Too late for me i've just bought an Ampeg SVT7 Pro that so far i'm fair impressed with but the SM900 is one of those dream amps for me. Skint now plus i had to buy 2 new tyres for car at £350. 😂

• Like 1

• deepbass5 changed the title to SWR SM-500 stereo amp Now Sold