Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1971 Precision... from Bermuda to Tyneside

wateroftyne

Normally something of that vintage moves from Tyneside TO Bermuda, but I bet the bass is happy to be in the hands of a busy and talented player such as your good self! Lovey thing, sounds great - a real 'thumbprint' bass!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2023 at 16:37, wateroftyne said:

Right... just heard back from Dave. He's quick!

The bridge has been moved to where it should be. Setup is done. No refret necessary... the original frets live to fight another day!

The board is Brazilian rosewood 😃

He took the guard off and is under the impression it's the first time it's ever been opened up. For that reason he didn't feel the need to dig the pickups out. The pots aren't stamped on the bottom but I suspect they are stamped on the side as is sometimes the case. He didn't check, but if I'm feeling brave in the future, I'll open it back up to confirm. I'm in no hurry, though!

The 'burst has barely faded compared to what's under the guard. I definitely think it's lived most - if not all - of its life in the dark.

Heading off to pick it up shortly...

4.thumb.jpg.cee7d5ca36484d62b485b1a8ed6c7af9.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b09bc7c6dc38ca7b61512566a3a2b5cf.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.fd54b309a550dd09b4de6e41a58961d1.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.85288b681a2ca2e20c06c6bf3923530c.jpg

Fabulous old bass congratulations on your find.

These photoes demonstrate nicely that you don't need to add a load of shielding to a P bass cavity! By their nature the split pickups are hum cancelling and it works.

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Fabulous old bass congratulations on your find.

These photoes demonstrate nicely that you don't need to add a load of shielding to a P bass cavity! By their nature the split pickups are hum cancelling and it works.

Technically they still need shielding from interference. Perhaps it wasn't done as much then as there were less electrical devices to cause it.

57 minutes ago, ped said:

Technically they still need shielding from interference. Perhaps it wasn't done as much then as there were less electrical devices to cause it.

Point taken he says running around turning off all the led and strip lights 🤗

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Sweet bass, real nice find. I've just seen this thread, the bass sounds awesome. You have original soldering on the pots so its almost 100% certain the pickups have never been out or fiddled with.

I can tell you exactly what happened with the bridge. At some point an owner took the neck off - for whatever reason, probably to adjust the truss rod.

When they put the neck back on and re-strung, they noticed the strings weren't aligning evenly down the bass and treble sides of the fretboard. Something they probably never even thought of before, let alone noticed - and then they couldn't remember if the E and G strings were always like that - so they panicked and their conclusion was..."the guy at the factory didn't mount the bridge dead centre in the middle".

So they moved the bridge to what they thought was the "correct" position. Problem solved, E and G strings both the same distance from the edge of the fretboard.

A global rookie mistake - I've owned more than one P Bass or Jazz with two sets of holes under the bridge. The stupid part? It's not a commonly shared set-up technique, but when attaching the neck, before fully tightening the neck mounting screws, you string up. Then you check that the E and G are equidistant from the fretboard edges. If one string is closer to the edge, all you gotta do is pull the neck by grasping it around fret one towards the side that has the bigger gap between the string and the fretboard edge. Then once you've eyeballed it and it looks good, you tighten down the neck bolts. The bridges were never mounted off-centre by mistake - they used jigs to drill all the main holes on the body and neck. Neck pockets will have a tiny amount of play - even if a neck pocket is super tight, you can still tweak it a fraction to either side to align the strings perfectly.

Anyhoo, killer bass you got there, nothing like an early 70's with the B width neck. I just picked up a 73 - the thing was buzzing out everywhere, truss rod was all wrong, and the the G was almost off the edge of the fretboard. I don't know if the seller was a player or not, but this thing was unplayable. Sitting in its glorious original case. But a couple of turns on the truss rod, an alignment of the neck before tightening the bolts and a re-intonation and it is incredible. Ten minutes and no re-drilling of the bridge lol...

The photo being taken from slightly above actually makes it look like I haven't aligned the strings..made me laugh after the alignment issue I described...

IMG_4441.jpg

Edited by Turbineclimber
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...