Why become a member? ×

70’s Fender bridge position, potential issue, what would you do?

ossyrocks

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I’ve just acquired a late 70’s P bass. It came strung with rounds (no fabric wrap either end).

I did note that the saddles were already adjusted quite a way back to get the intonation right, but it was intonated, so I wasn’t concerned.

I’ve just got some flats for it, with fabric wrap at each end, and just looking at them, I knew this wasn’t going to work the way I hoped it would. Once fitted, the fabric wrap extends over the saddles, so there’s no real metal to metal connection there.

On comparing this one with my ‘73 P bass, and measuring the distance from nut to the back of the bridge, there is a big difference. The ‘73 measures 90cm from nut to back of bridge, whereas the ‘78/79 measures 89cm, and is markedly further away from the edge of the body. 

I have had a close look to see if La Bellas would work, but I think even with those, the string would reach the saddle before the end of the wrap.

So, I have a dilemma. What do you think of the strings on it the way they are right now, with the fabric wrap sitting on the saddles?

Or, I could get the bridge moved back by 1cm to be same as my ‘73, and everything would work just fine. But, it’s an original bass, and I would be drilling it, and also I’m sure there would be marks in the finish which showed the original bridge position.

I’ll add some pics so you can see what I mean. The first one is the bass in question with Thomastiks, the second is my ‘73 with La Bellas.

Rob

78B237BA-59AF-41CE-AD56-683E8AD5C9AE.jpeg

9A1CADD5-A953-4D72-99BD-13FEB0EF9A1C.jpeg

Edited by ossyrocks

I don't see a serious problem here and I certainly wouldn't take a drill to your bass. The lack of metal to metal contact - especially with flats - is unlikely to have any discernible impact on your tone (has happened to me with other basses). Furthermore, if it really narks you, you can shave the silks back with a razor blade to uncover the metal for full contact with bridge saddles. The silks are largely there for cosmetic purposes, as I understand it, hence some manufacturers don't bother with them

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I don't see a serious problem here and I certainly wouldn't take a drill to your bass. The lack of metal to metal contact - especially with flats - is unlikely to have any discernible impact on your tone (has happened to me with other basses). Furthermore, if it really narks you, you can shave the silks back with a razor blade to uncover the metal for full contact with bridge saddles. The silks are largely there for cosmetic purposes, as I understand it, hence some manufacturers don't bother with them

That’s really useful, cheers. I’ll have a closer looks at the silks.

I’d agree with what Clarky has said. I’ve experienced similar with silks sitting over the saddle and never been able to hear anything negative with sound (though that could be my dodgy ears).

May be a daft question but have you removed the bridge at all to see whether there are other holes drilled closer to the back of the bass? Probably a long shot, but might be worth a look?

• Like 5

I’d agree with everything clarky has said above, I’ve had a few jazzes where the silks went over the saddles and to my ears there was no noticeable difference, if you don’t feel comfortable trimming the silks back I think Detroit flats have no silks at the ball end, I personally wouldn’t go drilling out to move the bridge , edit, just noticed they are TI’s , maybe swap strings over 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’d agree with everything clarky has said above, I’ve had a few jazzes where the silks went over the saddles and to my ears there was no noticeable difference, if you don’t feel comfortable trimming the silks back I think Detroit flats have no silks at the ball end, I personally wouldn’t go drilling out to move the bridge , edit, just noticed they are TI’s , maybe swap strings over 

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Yes Tony, these are TI’s (what am I like?). I hadn’t expected another P bass along so soon, hence selling the last set to you! I may hang on to strings a bit longer in future……
I thought I’d fit this with something different to my other one which has La Bella LTFs as you know. Now I have options. 
I’ve carefully trimmed back the silks with a craft knife and put a tiny bit of PVA on them to stop them unravelling. I think it’s ok now. After a slight tweak of the truss rod, a little saddle, pickup, and intonation adjustment, I think it’s ready to play in for a while. 
I’ll take it to rehearsal tomorrow and give it a proper outing for a few hours.

Here’s a pic with the silks trimmed.

Rob

143AB8B5-BE1B-43FA-A647-23E4425EA3B0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

May be a daft question but have you removed the bridge at all to see whether there are other holes drilled closer to the back of the bass? Probably a long shot, but might be worth a look?

That’s really unlikely if you look at the position of the screws for the bridge cover, and the marks in the finish from the cover. Good suggestion though, I may have a look at some point.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Yes Tony, these are TI’s (what am I like?). I hadn’t expected another P bass along so soon, hence selling the last set to you! I may hang on to strings a bit longer in future……
I thought I’d fit this with something different to my other one which has La Bella LTFs as you know. Now I have options. 
I’ve carefully trimmed back the silks with a craft knife and put a tiny bit of PVA on them to stop them unravelling. I think it’s ok now. After a slight tweak of the truss rod, a little saddle, pickup, and intonation adjustment, I think it’s ready to play in for a while. 

Rob

Top job, nothing wrong with that 👍 

• Like 1

Just now, SurroundedByManatees said:

Have you checked if the intonation is (still) right? The saddles seem quite a way back.

I think I've read once that the bridge position moved on purpose or by mistake somewhere in the early '70s. It was moved back later to its original position 

Yes, I’ve done that today, it was almost there after the string change, now it’s spot on. 

I saw a post on here a little while ago which had a picture of a bass where there was a little cube with a hole in it which went between the string ball and the back plate of the bridge. This pulls the string back a bit to clear the silk from the saddle. I had a look for the picture but couldn’t find it. However, it’s academic now that you’ve solved it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I saw a post on here a little while ago which had a picture of a bass where there was a little cube with a hole in it which went between the string ball and the back plate of the bridge. This pulls the string back a bit to clear the silk from the saddle. I had a look for the picture but couldn’t find it. However, it’s academic now that you’ve solved it. 

I’d like to find that.

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

On reflection I’m not sure it is exactly how I remember it and it maybe not a solution after all but worth a try perhaps?

I have a couple of sets of those too! Not sure, they are plastic and pretty lightweight. I think they’re just to remind you which string is which. 
Rob

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I have a couple of sets of those too! Not sure, they are plastic and pretty lightweight. I think they’re just to remind you which string is which. 
Rob

Yeah they are just for string identification but I have seen pictures of people using them to extend the string, not something I would fancy doing 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/04/2023 at 17:47, ossyrocks said:

Rob

The intonation on this one looks about right to my eyes and too far forward on the other one

3 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

The intonation on this one looks about right to my eyes and too far forward on the other one

They are both spot on. It’s just that the bridge on the ‘73 is placed about 1cm further back than the bridge on the ‘78.

• Like 1