Why become a member? ×

Fender neck on Sadowsky

Beedster

Anyone ever tried the above? A quick look at the final post on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46330&st=40&start=40"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...40&start=40[/url] will explain the reasoning. A cursory look suggests that it could fit, but before I start taking off necks and messing about in a no doubt expensive manner (i.e., off to the bass tech with two bodies and two necks), I thought I'd ask around :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='474985' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:49 PM']Since each Sadowsky neck is hand-fitted to the neck pocket I find it unlikely that the Fender neck would fit very well.[/quote]

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='476615' date='May 1 2009, 02:08 AM']Why don't Sadowsky just make them all the same size (for example on CNC machine), so that any neck can fit any body?[/quote]

I could be wrong but I would assume that the Metro line (and even the NYC) will have the neck pocket and neck CNCd, the degree to which the NYC basses are hand finished will be reflected in the cost. I'd imagine any difference in pocket fit would be down to tool wear and tear, which would plague any manufacturer; Sadowsky may well replace tooling sooner than others, though this is just supposition. As to whether a Fender would fit I can only imagine that is purely down to the respective manufacturers dimensions... and I've NO idea if a Sadowsky and a Fender are similar dimensions! :rolleyes:

Go on Chris, you've got a couple spare planks kicking about just whip the neck off and give it a go. :)

Personally I think the whole 'every neck is made to every body' thing that many manufacturers talk about is crap. They have sufficient tecnology and expertise to make each heel and each pocket the same size and, bingo, they fit. I remember trying to get my Flea Bass repaired (the pocket had been damaged) and when I enquired whether I could simply buy a new body they came out with the whole "you have to send the bass back to us ($150), we will build a new body ($750), fit the neck and components (can't remember what the fee for this was), and send it back to me (again, $150)" Martin Simms did the whole lot for £300.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='476644' date='May 1 2009, 08:14 AM']Go on Chris, you've got a couple spare planks kicking about just whip the neck off and give it a go. :)[/quote]

It's on the agenda for the weekend John

[quote name='Toasted' post='474985' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:49 PM']Since each Sadowsky neck is hand-fitted to the neck pocket I find it unlikely that the Fender neck would fit very well.[/quote]

+1

Sadowsky have their necks and bodies CNC'd

the neck pockets are machined slightly smaller so that they can do the final fit by hand

watch this video! (its really worth 5 minutes of your time) :)

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/#/features/roger_01/"]http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/#/features/roger_01/[/url]

about three quarters in is where i think they prove just how much attention is paid to the neck joint!

[quote name='Beedster' post='476645' date='May 1 2009, 08:16 AM']Personally I think the whole 'every neck is made to every body' thing that many manufacturers talk about is crap. They have sufficient tecnology and expertise to make each heel and each pocket the same size and, bingo, they fit.[/quote]

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='477687' date='May 2 2009, 01:46 PM']+1

Sadowsky have their necks and bodies CNC'd

the neck pockets are machined slightly smaller so that they can do the final fit by hand

watch this video! (its really worth 5 minutes of your time) :)

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/#/features/roger_01/"]http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/#/features/roger_01/[/url]

about three quarters in is where i think they prove just how much attention is paid to the neck joint![/quote]

I'll get my coat :rolleyes:

Apologies Joe

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The answer the original post is 'no'. Despite the fact that both heels come in at exactly the same width using callipers, the Fender neck simply won't go into the Sadowsky body. The Sadowsky neck goes in hand in glove so to speak :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='488942' date='May 15 2009, 02:47 PM']Try it on a couple of your GBs and an Encore neck and let me know how you get on first :)[/quote]

That's going to be a bit tricky on the thru-necks.

...I'm going to need a bigger hammer.

Having taken off the Sadowsky neck for the first time I'm pretty susrprised they bother screwing it on in the first place, the fit is incredible. I know there's some debate about just how much of a factor heel/pocket fit is in tone production (although I don't think there's any dispute that it's a significant factor in the bass's ability to stay in tune), but if it is the case, there's no doubt this pretty incredible workmanship is a factor in the whole Sadowsky tone thing :)