Why become a member? ×

London bass shop

lidl e

Didnt there used to be an all bass shop nearish to Spitalfields?

Bass Centre or something like that? Im sure there was.

Im not talking about your man in camden.

Im in london for a long weekend with some spending money....

This would have been somewhere between 2003-08 when i lived in london.

I know it was a big shop. It might have been the bass section on the bottom floor but they advertised as a separate shop.

Edited by lidl e

Maybe in whitechapel...

On another note, any great effects shops here?

Im staying in chiswick but will be east london and all around the city for the weekend mostly

Edited by lidl e

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Honestly can't remember exactly,   I'm thinking I went along Bishopsgate and it was up off some side street, they only did bass stuff. 

That must have been it. It was on some odd street doen there. Big enough place.

I suppose its gone?

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

I'm fairly certain there's no bass shop up that way now unfortunately. 

I'll drop into the gallery in camden, but if i remember he was more about basses than effects and accessories 

3 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I'll drop into the gallery in camden, but if i remember he was more about basses than effects and accessories 

I last went in there maybe 2010 or something, it was pretty much just a bunch of basses hanging on the wall.. It was kind of weird as I recall you had to get buzzed in on the doorbell, but there was no one in the shop to meet you!  I was just having a shufti really anyway, too pricy for me.

.. It was quite handy that they dumped bass cardboard shipping boxes outside for the bins, which I snagged for posting a couple of times. 

• Like 1

Andy Baxter Bass used to be there. He's in Leeds now....

There was also a place opposite Brick Lane Bikes next door to Brewdog on Bethnal Green Road. About 100 yards from Boxpark. They've gone as well...

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I suspect there's not much left for our man from Dublin if he was to have a look down Charing Cross Road and Denmark St these days either :(

Yeah, not much going on there last time i was over.

Im not really needing anything anyway. 

I was hoping something i wanted would pop up in effects for sale, but nothing tickled my goolies.

Edited by lidl e

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

Yes, I've popped in there as well - it was on Brune St. No longer there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

If you're going to Camden, there's a branch of GuitarGuitar there. Not very bass-focused, but last time I was there (a few years ago now) they had a fair few fx and stuff.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Cheers, lads. 

Gonna be over grabbing a salt beef bagel so i wondered if place nearby was still around

The all nite bagel place in Brick Lane is I'm sure (hopefully!) still there.

The tubby Isaacs seafood stall was good too but I don't think that's around anymore, likewise the old Pie 'n' Mash shops of which there were several in Bethnal Grn Rd. last time I looked there was one left.. 

• Like 1

Bought tons of kit for the Wapping Bass Centre over the years, Ampeg 8x10, GK 800RB, TE 4x10, pedals and my Warwick Thumb 5 in 1988. 

Still have a Bass Centre gig bag kicking around somewhere, although almost everything else is gone...

It was a great place to try stuff out, bit of a faff to get there but the staff were great and you could noodle around all day.

Sadly missed.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, lidl e said:

Im not talking about your man in camden.

Im in london for a long weekend with some spending money....

Bass Centre are still in existence but online only now.

10 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Bought tons of kit for the Wapping Bass Centre over the years, Ampeg 8x10, GK 800RB, TE 4x10, pedals and my Warwick Thumb 5 in 1988. 

Still have a Bass Centre gig bag kicking around somewhere, although almost everything else is gone...

It was a great place to try stuff out, bit of a faff to get there but the staff were great and you could noodle around all day.

Sadly missed.

Bought my Ashdown ABM combo and a cab there in 1999. An outstanding place. Nowhere like it anymore. 

• Like 3

They started at Wapping in 1984, then in the mid 90s, moved to just around the corner from Brick Lane. That's the same area as Liverpool St Station and Spitalfields, but Wapping is walking distance from Brick Lane. The whole area has since been redeveloped and gentrified. 

They used to have small gigs downstairs. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 3

The Brune Street location was pretty spectacular, wall to wall basses downstairs and up the walls to the Acoustic Centre, upstairs. They also had offices opposite, which became the outlet once the shop was closed. It then moved the south side of London Bridge, near Guy’s Hospital. Now they’re situated in Bagshot.

• Like 2