Why become a member? ×

New SolidGold Beta V - latest Ampeg in a pedal

Clarky

I was gonna start a thread in this but didn’t think folk would be interested. I see Anderson’s have a couple in stock and could be interested. Looks like it irons out some of the baked in lows of the original and still sounds great in the low gain realms. 

Bass the World have a good demo up just now. 

I’ve too much dirt atm but if I can shift some I might grab one. 

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Looks interesting. Shame that manufacturers making preamps don't think to add a DI out in addition to a normal 1/4" out as standard in the way that the comparably sized MXR M81 does.

Don’t think it’s that kinda unit and most of us have DI options these days. I have three pedals with di’s on my board just now and don’t really need all three. Might take a punt on the mkV if some other stuff shifts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any further thoughts and did you have. An earlier version to compare it to? I had my beta (not a MkV) on last nights gig and did enjoy it but it was more as an always on unit for the last set. Sounds great but the added versatility of the MkV is drawing me in! 

16 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Just got one of these and it's very good.

Into my Rumble 200 it adds some convincing Ampeg grit.PXL_20230605_SGFXS.thumb.jpg.1d6c89f53eb65183af4b06d79088b651.jpg

Same basic set up me. Great wee combo the Rumble. I have a Beta but think I’ll get the MkV. Did you try any of the original versions 

I’ve got the Beta Germanium the Beta V is considerably better for me

Flats or Rounds

Active or Passive 

Fingers, Thumb Plectrum 

all useable. 

probably my favourite Is flats , precision with light drive

On 06/06/2023 at 04:19, Bagman said:

I’ve got the Beta Germanium the Beta V is considerably better for me

Flats or Rounds

Active or Passive 

Fingers, Thumb Plectrum 

all useable. 

probably my favourite Is flats , precision with light drive

I’ve not tried the Germanium, let me know if you fancy swapsies for the LM308!

Nabbed one and now I’ve had some time with it I really like it. Never tried the DLX which I was very keen to try but did dig my OG Beta. The MkV does all the things I’d want this type of preamp/drive to do. I was joking earlier it’s like a cross between the original Beta/Bass Soul Food/Spark booster only with better components and dialled in for the bassist. I’m not sure what else is out there but my low gain drive box is well and truly ticked! No need for a clean blend and having the ability for do 9, 12 or 18v just opens up the headroom while retaining that great tone. Top job SGFX! 

• Like 4

On 16/06/2023 at 22:50, krispn said:

Well I’m sorted for DI’s on my board so it was never an issue. Good pedal though. 

Good for you. 

I have a Polytune and my only other pedal need is a low gain OD with EQ options. To have a DI on that would be a bonus hence why the Tech 21 VT Bass covers so much ground. I'm going to stick with that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this pedal. If you get a chance to try one then give it a go

With an Optical Compressor in front or a VCA Compressor behind it can cover a lot of ground on different types of Basses

I don’t believe it is “dark” but I definitely want low gain not fuzzy or fuzzy