Why become a member? ×

Kurzweil SP76

bass_dinger

Looking for a piano, for myself and my daughter to mess about on - my daughter reached Grade 2 and I played the electric organ decades ago.

A Kurzweil SP76  has appeared very close to me, for £80.

Is it worth having?  

Edited by bass_dinger

This thread here, along with this here 

convinced me that the one that I spotted  is worth a try.

Of course, I have no space for it, but it feels like the right time and the right instrument at the right price. 

I am tempted to link it up to a DX11 that was gifted to me - just so that I can pretend to be Jean Michael Jarre for a couple of hours....

3 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

This thread here, along with this here 

convinced me that the one that I spotted  is worth a try.

Of course, I have no space for it, but it feels like the right time and the right instrument at the right price. 

I am tempted to link it up to a DX11 that was gifted to me - just so that I can pretend to be Jean Michael Jarre for a couple of hours....

Keep thinking I'd like to do a synth dub reggae project as Jean Michael Jaahhhh

• Haha 1

Looks like I got the price wrong - it was £59.99 and not £80.  And the power supply is missing - lost in the shop refurb.  So, I have been given a £10 discount.  Thank you, Cash Converters for a stage piano for the price of a Bontempi organ.   

Does anyone know where I can get a UK power adaptor for a Kurzweil SP76?

2 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Does anyone know where I can get a UK power adaptor for a Kurzweil SP76?

I'd start by asking Kurzweil. They have in the past been very helpful when it comes to supporting older equipment. Even if they don't actually provide a suitable supply anymore they should be able to supply the specifications for a suitable replacement.

• Like 1

Nothing available from Kurzweil, nor could they recommend anything.  However,  the manual tells me that the specification's are as follows:

Electrical Requirements
Input Voltage 12 Volts DC nominal, 16 volts maximum
Current Consumption 0.5 Amp maximum 

From the manual, it is not clear which of the ring or the tip are positive or negative - two circles, the left with a circled +, and the right with a circled -

I will grab a photo of the rear panel when I am home. 

Update: positive centre, negative ring. 5.5mm outer diameter, 2.5mm centre (according to the Web, and the chap from the distributor).

1680543985130244284754191815980.thumb.jpg.0d78356ce0cd2dc06a495018c8d13a39.jpg

Edited by bass_dinger

So, I happened to already have a Power Supply Unit with the right specification - one of those multi output devices that allow one to configure voltage and polarity. 

@sammybeewas right - the piano sounds are really nice. And the keyboard feels responsive.  To my utter surprise,  I was able to read the music to Bach's Prelude number 1, having last played keyboard music some 20 years ago (and never the left hand).  All that bass clef reading payed off.

For a permanent power supply solution, these guys will make one up for me.

https://www.electronicmusicservices.co.uk

Certainly, I have not found one that has all the right specifications and which is not a kit.