Why become a member? ×

Numbers you hate playing

Gasman

10 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Interesting to see the amount of dislike of Oasis on this thread. I'm quite happy to play any Oasis song, with one exception:

Wonderwall.

God, how I detest that racket. It should have been called Caterwaul. It's the one Oasis song I would instantly veto when picking songs. There are plenty of better songs - Cigarettes and Alcohol, Little By Little, Don't Look Back In Anger, Songbird, Roll With It, Champagne Supernova, even Stop Crying Your Heart Out, but Caterwaul? Faggeddit.

I was thinking much the same about Oasis myself. I listened to them loads as a kid, though I never do now. I cut my teeth learning to play their stuff on guitar and bass when I was a teenager.

Rock 'n' Roll Star is a mainstay of our set, and always goes down well with punters. Our gigs are generally busy pubs, frequented by those looking to have a good night out rather than those with refined music taste!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geoham said:

Our gigs are generally busy pubs, frequented by those looking to have a good night out rather than those with refined music taste!

Ours too  - luckily there are enough bands to knock the Oasis songs out, so we don't all have to!

• Haha 1

Our singer suggested Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This and Tainted Love. I flinched, but he said, just give it a go. We did, and the audience reaction kept them in the set for several years.

That's the the gig. Getting a reaction like that never gets old.

• Like 3

On 29/03/2023 at 10:49, NancyJohnson said:

*An addendum here, a day or so after the original post.  I've not really listened to the band since I left but @Wolverinebasshas.  I believe he described their final recordings as sounding like scrap metal being thrown down a stairwell.  Probably got out at the right time.

In truth, I was being charitable. It was a dreadful DIY produced effort which in all honesty, even if the material was good (it was crap), it would have been brought down by the terrible production values.

• Haha 1

I'll play just about anything and have done so for ever...but last yr I got a call to sub a bunch of guys I loosely knew. Set list pops up..ok fine the usual and some nice ones too, Gerry Rafferty, ABBA (yep, and it sounded pretty good) etc...but wait what's this?...some guy called George Ezra? I have never played such a cringy tune ever...but then the state of current music is a whole nuther thread all together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1